Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First pull (plod)
zilspeed

posted on 27/7/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
has anyone thought of mounting the front number plate on a hinge - so when you hit speed bumps it doesn't break off..... except when you get above cough miles per hour it sort of .... you know ...... wind resistance etc ???

you've got it, its there when they look....... etc

I know a hillclimb car with this exact setup.

Works a treat................

silex

posted on 28/7/05 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
I can see if I can find out exactly what the exemptions are.

I suspect that is comes down to the shape of the front end - If there isnt a suitable place to fit the plate. This may explain away UK legal production cars that have no front plates fitted.

Also, just a thought - if there is a regulation governing the front plate, it may have similar restrictions to the rear. i.e plate must be vertical within 5 degrees (could be a problem with a hinge system and a diligent cop) and the top edge of the plate to be no lower than 300mm, but I'm just guessing/speculating there

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/05 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
This sort of discussion amuses me... "how can I avoid having a number plate on the front"... these cars stand out like a sore thumb on the road and will automatically attract the attention of plod, even when 100% legal. I'd rather not give them an excuse or opportunity to take a greater interest. Hell, they might even notice that I go round roundabouts sideways and rarely stick to the speed limits!

David

NS Dev

posted on 28/7/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I don't mind being stopped occasionally, what I do mind, i the indiscriminate use of "safety cameras" ho ho ho!

Interesting to see that county Durham, with no "safety cameras" had the biggest improvement in terms of road death reduction, whereas the areas with most cameras had the biggest increases in deaths...........................when will the farce end..............

until that point, I will actively seek ways to avoid being robbed of my money by thieves with cameras in the name of "safety"

Syd Bridge

posted on 28/7/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silex

I have been looking through the EEC directives (The SVA manual is compiled from these) and I can only find one for the rear number plate (70/222/EEC)

Don.t confuse EEC directives with UK Construction and Use Regs.

Two completely different sets of rules, although some are the same.

The beaurocrats at Swansea and Cardiff are not friends of the beauroprats of the EU!

The UK C&U regs overrule everything else.

The SVA manual is mostly C&U Regs, with some ece thrown in.

Syd.

silex

posted on 28/7/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge

Don.t confuse EEC directives with UK Construction and Use Regs.

Two completely different sets of rules, although some are the same.

The beaurocrats at Swansea and Cardiff are not friends of the beauroprats of the EU!

The UK C&U regs overrule everything else.

The SVA manual is mostly C&U Regs, with some ece thrown in.

Syd.

I have to admit, it has been in the back of my mind that the SVA test is a UK thing, but surely there has to be some mention in the SVA manual.

Unfortunately I do not have the SVA manual myself, does it specifically mention number plate position in the manual - either front or rear ?

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

andyps

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I drove my car without a front number plate recently (just repainted the bumper) and decided it was too much hassle thinking I would give plod a reason to pull me over - even though everything was perfectly OK in other respects.

You can't pass an MOT without a front number plate fitted so it must be a legal requirement. As Petef has said - if the exemptions can be clarified then maybe there is a way round not having one. Even smaller plates (bike size) can only legally be fitted to the front of certain imported cars, so they would not be legal on a Locost.

Peteff

posted on 6/8/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
UK legal production cars that have no front plates fitted.

Name two.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyps

posted on 7/8/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't seen one on the front of an Enzo yet - but then the sample size is pretty limited.

Number 2........ can't think of another one.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

omega 24 v6

posted on 8/8/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Could one of them be a reliant robin ?
MikeR

posted on 9/8/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
nope, i'm 99% sure a reliant robin has a front number plate!
MikeR

posted on 9/8/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
just googled and yep, i'm right, they do have a front number plate
Bob C

posted on 16/9/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is there nobody on the list who can design a front number plate plinth to improve the high speed aerodynamics of the locost.
It's a ready made front air dam, could be faired into an F1 style wing? With another vestigial underfloor moulding near the front of the rear arches you should be able to drive along the roof of tunnels . . . .
Nobody got a supercomputer, CFD software & some spare time????
Bob

stevebubs

posted on 16/9/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Is there nobody on the list who can design a front number plate plinth to improve the high speed aerodynamics of the locost.
It's a ready made front air dam, could be faired into an F1 style wing? With another vestigial underfloor moulding near the front of the rear arches you should be able to drive along the roof of tunnels . . . .
Nobody got a supercomputer, CFD software & some spare time????
Bob

Best way is probably to have a light spring behind it.

Drops down when stationary but folds back up under the nose when going more than 10mph

Messenjah

posted on 26/9/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
for the person that questioned wethere a reliant robin had a front numberplate yes most do but they technically dont need them as they are a trike ... lol

"Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the front but are not required to."

hmm and also i beleive the numberplates on alot of landrover are illegal .... alot of heavily modified landrovers that ive seen when they fit a numberplate for the journey home from an even its either cable ties onto the grille usually at the top for minimal disruption of airflow to intercooler .... or a few ive seen have them on a bracket that fits on the channel at the top of the windscreen ...

surely thats above 1.2m in both cases depending on the height on the grille and tyre size / suspension lift .... interesting

[Edited on 26/9/05 by Messenjah]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.