Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 3 litres / 1000bhp WOW!!
Surrey Dave

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
F1 3 litres / 1000bhp WOW!!

This is an extract from an F1 website..................

Over 1000 hp?

Mercedes' Norbert Haug has denied that the last generation of V10 engines are close to tipping the scales at a staggering 1000 horse power. The German told 'Kicker' magazine that McLaren's 3.0 litre engine is 'one of the best' in the Formula One paddock. He added: "If not the best. But no-one has 1000

Japanese carmaker Honda, a part owner of the BAR team, reckons it will trouble the elusive fourth figure with a 'super Suzuka-special' in China, the last race of the year.

Asked what was a more accurate assessment, Norbert Haug replied: "I think we are clearly over nine hundred (bhp)."

In comparison over twice a typical Blade / R1 type output...................mega clever

JoelP

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
a fair chunk of the power can be attributed to the high revs and the shocking amount of fuel they must use! I find the revs to be more amazing than the power myself

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Surrey Dave

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah how many times do the inlet valves open and close a second at 18,000rpm is it ...........150 times?..........................
JoelP

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
mad innuit

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

I love speed :-P

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well power is preoperational to the rpm and some other stuff (ie cc’s and compression), however now, the rpm’s are that high now the increase in power is less than the friction generated ie the exra power from higer rpm is lost cus of the amount of friction so i have been told that the rpm's wont increase much more until they have found a better way of reducing friction

Phil

Also, the valves experince 7000 g during max rpm, and so the valve’s length goes bigger and smaller by about 0.1 mm’s or so the chief Renault engine designer told me

[Edited on 5/8/2005 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
but how long do the engines last? 200 miles?
Sill, it's a staggering amount of power from a normally aspirated engine.

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
but how long do the engines last? 200 miles?
Sill, it's a staggering amount of power from a normally aspirated engine.

either 450 miles or km, i cant remember

Don't Steal

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 5/8/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
the shocking amount of fuel they must use!

According to the Renault video Jon Ison posted their engine does 100km to 70 litres of fuel which probably doesn't compare too badly to any other form of car racing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Northy

posted on 6/8/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Someone I know has seen the Merc 2.6L V8 on the dyno, and its already at ~700 bhp. They said they expect at least 750 bhp before next year. They also told him thier V10 was outputting 950+ bhp!

He said it sounded awesome on the dyno!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

andyps

posted on 6/8/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
The Cosworth V8 for next years F1 season has already reached 20,002rpm. Video link here

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

pifular

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
i was looking for jon isons video of the renault engine the other week to show to someone. does any know where abouts it is on here as i have tried searching for all the obvious variants of RENAULT / ENGINE / F1 and cant find it.

thanks

posted on 6/8/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pifular
i was looking for jon isons video of the renault engine the other week to show to someone. does any know where abouts it is on here as i have tried searching for all the obvious variants of RENAULT / ENGINE / F1 and cant find it.

thanks

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=29447

Don't Steal

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.