Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick Release Hinges?
RazMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Quick Release Hinges?

My bodywork is attached with some fairly 'industrial' looking hinges - basically to steel tabs with an M8 bolt running through them - not exactly elegant or easy to get on & off.
I would like to make something to replace them which is quick release - maybe a couple of pins with R clips?
Is there anything available off the shelf? If not, has anyone got any tips or suggestions Rescued attachment Rear Body Hinge.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Body Hinge.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Could you use some Ø8mm stainless rod and drill holes each end for R clips? You'd need a plain washer each side and possibly some kind of springing to prevent a loose or rattly fit. Should be easy enough.
russbost

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
On the new Sprint MK have used a bog standard rising butt door hinge (x 2) obviously the panel needs to be able to slide sideways once released for this to work.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
iank

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Simplest solution would be to use a clevis pin instead of the bolt.
Schrodinger

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
8mm Cotter pins with R clips?
02GF74

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ what has been said.

now if you were really cunning, fit a pin through the bolts and make the corresponding slots in the hinge so that is slides out when in a certain postiion; once it is doen, the small pins prevent it coming apart since the slots are not aligned - hope you can understand what I am syaing without me having to draw a picture

Dunno how you address any side to side play but you could make it so t he pins are within 0.5 mm of the hinge and maybe the springiness of the hinge will aloow it to be bent for assembly?

you would need to ensure the pin/slots on both hinges line up for removal

StevieB

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar type of thing on my old RC cars - use a rubber 'O' ring between the pin and the hinge - it'll ensure a perfect fit and is really cheap to replace
Schrodinger

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Nylon washers between the components should keep it in line but allow it to turn.
RazMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure that the 'pin & slot' idea would be very easy to get lined up single handed - I usually have to plonk the bodywork onto the chassis in its closed position, then rummage around with one hand to try and get everything lined up for the bolts.

Cotter / Clevis pins & R clips & nylon washers would seem to be the simplest idea. Doing a quick search, I can only some short M8 pins but they must exist somewhere.

[Edited on 8-11-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Have a search for mini removable bonnet hinges. they might do your purpose.

They hinge and unclip to remove.

something like these?

[Edited on 8/11/06 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ned

posted on 8/11/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
you so definately want to use these razman:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FASTENERS-&-CATCHES-Pip-Pins/c51_243/index.html

mate of mine had a wing attached using a pair of these each side on a racecar using ally (pillow) blocks either side they worked brilliantly. the ballbearings retain the clip, press the end so they spring inwards and you can withdraw the pin. you need quite a close fit/tolerance for the pin to locate correctly.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

RazMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooohh! Luvverly .......... but £16 each!

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Found a Locost version on Fleabay!
£2.99 but it looks as if it might do me

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 8/11/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Razman,

I'd wanna be sure the cheaper versions are fully locking as it were, those ones look like the ballbearing is simply sprung whereas the 'proper' (yes expensive!) ones lock the ballbearing until the button on the end is pressed, much like most new socket ratchets that hold the socket on and have a button to release the ballbearing in the same way.

I'd think with the right size spec'd you'd easily get away with one each side.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Fred W B

posted on 8/11/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Search for "tractor cowling" or "tractor linkage pins" - You get some neat ones that have a sprung ring that flips over the end of the pin to secure the pin once fitted

Cheers

Fred W B
pins

[Edited on 8/11/06 by Fred W B]

RazMan

posted on 8/11/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - the cheaper pins will be ok for fine tuning the bodywork fit which is a real pain when using a nut & bolt. I want to replace the hinge components with 8mm track rod ends which should make the fit have less play (also some adjustment) and then if it looks viable I will probably go for some of the super-duper pins for security as you suggest Ned (don't fancy my bodywork parting company at high speed )

The tractor linkage pins might be worth a look too (cheers Fred)

Cheers,
Raz

caber

posted on 8/11/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Find a yacht chandlers, they have stainless steel clevis pins in all sorts of sizes along with R clips, spring spacers etc. they hold yacht riging together.

regards
Caber

sgraber

posted on 22/11/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Raz, the spring loaded ones are the same as the ones I chose to prototype my front hinge. I used a steel tube as the hinge material on the bonnet side and on the chassis a rose-joint for a bit of front-rear adjustment. I drilled a small hole in the side of the tube so that the sprung ball pops into the hole when its fully inserted and rotated. Mine pop in with a nice 'click'.

That said, I much prefer the T-handled ones with the push button on the end of the T to unlock the ball. But they are 10x as expensive! And I can tell you that the spring loaded ones, with the ball in the hole are not going to come out by themselves. It takes a strong tug and rotating the pin to release the ball from it's socket.

Take a look at http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a search for 'Ball lock pins' There are many styles of them available.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

RazMan

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve. Coincidentally I have been talking to a UK pip pin manufacturer today - this guy can TALK about pins!

After a 30 minute conversation he came to the conclusion that I didn't need a stainless pin (as I assumed) because the plating is up to military spec and will probably out-live the car anyway. Also a single ball is better than a twin ball because the latter requires a spring which can clog with road dirt (a single ball has a poly 'pad' which can't clog.
The T handle is, as you conclude, the best version for ease of insertion but if you can get access to both ends of the pin, a 'drop nose' version is much more secure - it has a tab which rotates 90 degrees and provides a firm surface to bear against.

Cheers,
Raz

sgraber

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
That drop nose unit is the dogs danglies! I've not seen those around these parts. How much are they and do you want to ship me a batch?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

RazMan

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am trying to blag a sample or two but I think they are fairly expensive (about £10 each ) I also think they are only available in 10mm upwards which might be a bit large but I will make further enquiries.

Check out this link for some more info.

[Edited on 22-11-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

3GEComponents

posted on 23/11/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I used to make those drop nose pins when i was an apprentice, they're real easy to make.
RazMan

posted on 23/11/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just got one of these as a sample ...

The operation is a bit too fiddly IMO as you have to grip & pull the tab out and then rotate it - I can't see me doing that easily when it is covered in road crud.

Ah well, a few more begging calls needed

Cheers,
Raz

Alan B

posted on 28/11/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I did for mine..

RazMan

posted on 28/11/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's just showing off that is

What size is involved there Alan? I assume that is an R clip but do you position everything and insert the pin, then click in the R clip?

Cheers,
Raz

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.