Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any power kite flyers out there?
twybrow

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Any power kite flyers out there?

I am so excited - just got my new toy through the post....

Blade II 9m small
Blade II 9m small

Flexifoil Blade II 9m. What a beast!

Now I just hope we get some summer to use it and that I don't land myself in hospital!

Who else out there likes these things?

Benzine

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
A flexifoil 9m once carried me and 2 friends across a field Seriously powerful. I mostly use a 3m flexifoil. Great fun
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting.... Did it hurt!? I have a 4.9m for windy days (well up to 25ish mph). Do you fly inland or venture to the beach? Buggy/landboard or just recreational?

Benzine

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Recreational around the local area in playing frields etc. I have been on the beach too. On a windy day the 3 meter one was terrifying, when we used the 9 meter the winds were quite mild but it still dragged us away In an ideal world I'd have 2 or 3 different sized kites for different winds but I find a 3 meter-ish size is a good compromise. I've not used a buggy/board. We did once use a survival bag (got inside it) on wet grass, that was fun.

Did it hurt? Not too much I got loads of bad grazes over the years from kiting, it's great fun, I've not done it for ages, need to get another one now

I REALLY want to try kite surfing, I saw a beachful of people doing it in South Africa, looks amazing

[Edited on 26/3/08 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ruskino80

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
look into some kite killers you WILL need them with that size.beware of the power of the wind.but have fun there awesome.
Benzine

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruskino80
beware of the power of the wind.but have fun there awesome.

Yeah I'd second that! Remember that 9m kite on a windy day will be a beast to handle. "If there is any doubt then there is no doubt"

twybrow

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think I will invest in some kite killers. I have never ever found I had to let go/panic, even when getting pounded, but I am sure there will be a time! I have always advised newbies if the worse comes to worse then just let go of one handle, and under no crcumstances should one pull the brakes when airborne - it hurts!

Duncan_P

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would definitely invest in some kite killers, not only do they protect you but also your equipment and other people.

I really need to free the kites from there prolonged winter exile in the boot of the car and actually use them. Luckily for me im right near the beach so have some nice places to fly.

I Just fly recreationally at the moment but really want to get into kite surfing. But keep telling myself that i can't take up and MORE hobbies before the car is finished (i can find enough excuses to stay out of the garage already)

Another thing that i would advise is joining the British Power Kiting Association (BPKA) as included in the fairly cheap membersip is 3rd party liability cover if the worst should happen (the amount of suicidal idiots who get too close to the kites is mad)

BPKA linky

ETA Nice kite BTW think I might end up in France if i flew it though

[Edited on 26/3/08 by Duncan_P]

ruskino80

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I think I will invest in some kite killers. I have never ever found I had to let go/panic, even when getting pounded, but I am sure there will be a time!

a couple of years ago whilst flying only a 5m kite using kite killers,a good strong gust came i knew almost immediately i was in trouble so i released the handles i n an attempt to let the killers do there job,the one attached to my right clean snapped leaving the kite attached to my left only, the kite stayed in shape and began to spin like a propeller whilst dragging me on my chest down a field towards a main road-it was terrifying and only stopped when a passer by charged at the lines to trample them and the kite.

so -- seriously be carefull with a 9 even with killers

by the way i am a strong chap(builder)and weigh about 15 stone

[Edited on 26/3/08 by ruskino80]

Danozeman

posted on 26/3/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Beast!!! Iv got a 2.5m power kite which is good fun. My father inlaw has a flexifoil rage 3.5 which was great until we were out new years day last year and he broke his back flying it!! That was with a bar and the killer didnt work properly. He bought an 8m rage and a buggy just before that the 8m ended up on ebay. He cant fly them anymore so hes looking at the revolution stunt ones. Great fun mind you.

The blades are sposed to be for more lift arnt they? U must be brave.. My 2.5 traction lifts me up when its windy..

Have u seen the power kite vids on youtube?

Just looked at the piccie im surprised that didnt come with kite killers. Well worth it. Iv never neded them on my little one ut im sure you will with that.

[Edited on 26/3/08 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of when the top gear guys went quad biking- "Hello, I'd like to hire some death please"

If it ain't broke- it soon will be!

twybrow

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just to reassure you chaps, I have been doing this for some years now. I have learnt at least some of my lessons the hard way. 20' off the deck over a summer baked field is not the place to pull the brake lines - especially when you are the usher for your sisters wedding two days later! I have had a Blade II for 6 years. They do produce lots of lift, and can be scary! The smaller kites tend to pick you up and dump you very fast. The larger kites have a floatier character (I hope!).

I have done some rather large jumps over the years. My record was in 30mph winds on Exmouth estuary (one for the Devon boys!). We were flying on my harness, hitting pendulem jumps. I hit one and cleared 150 foot (over the ground) before touching down! Needless to say, we didn't try to beat it!

Check out this vid on utube. This is the same kite flown on 2 handles!

MK Charlie

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome kite. I have 1 of those and took it out at the weekend. Fully harnessed up in fairly strong winds and I was in the air more than on the ground. Has anyone tried buggying or surfing? I've been buggying for about 8years now, and kite surfing for 2. Struggling to get the hang of the surfing though. Given up spending money on kites since I started "fiddling" with cars!
Omni

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
Nice Kite

Up to about 2 years ago, I owned a kite shop I just don't get much time to play anymore

Still got all my landboarding kit and surfing kit plus a few new kites that I really should have sold off. Blade III 8.5m anyone? Lines, handles, boards, nicknacks!..... LMAO.

Enjoy.

O

[Edited on 27/3/08 by Omni]

Omni

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
By the way my weapon of choice for landboarding was a 13m Peter Lynn Guerilla (said in homer voice "Sweet floaty jumps, arghhhhhhhh"

O

02GF74

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
ooh, I have two 1.5 m stackers

flak monkey

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, 3.3 and 4.9 Blade II.

Great fun. Be careful with the 9, they have some serious ooomph. Great for surfing and buggying, but mental for just trying to hang onto.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

neilj37

posted on 27/3/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, i am a qualified power kite and buggy instructor. Been flying for around 4 years and have spent thousands on equipment. Be very very careful with that blade as it will bite you big time.

Don't take it out in winds over 10mph and make sure you have some kite killers. I may have some spares lying around if you want them. Just pay me the postage costs.

Heres a picture of me buggy jumping on my 6.5 blade in Aberdeen.

[Edited on 27/3/08 by neilj37]

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Blade II 9m small
Blade II 9m small

That's the flattest canoe I've ever seen

[Edited on 27/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

smart1275gt

posted on 27/3/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I love those kites, I've only got a 3.2m two string HQ Harmony which is great fun on the beach in Tarifa, Spain (Kite boarding mecca). My wife wiped me out with my kite in Norfolk last year - she did a low fast swoop and nearly knocked me out! I actually caught it on video! Also got a smaller one (1.4m) which is great too. I've got a little camcorder I hang on it for aerial footage.
charlierevell

posted on 27/3/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
we fly down at Exmouth most weekends when it warms up a little. Friends have caught on and bought a couple of smaller 2.5/3.5 Bullets and things.
Iv got a 6m Blade II, awesome fun on a harness and bar! Had a few scares mind, not worth playin if you dont get scared tho! hehe

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

twybrow

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't take it out in winds over 10mph and make sure you have some kite killers. I may have some spares lying around if you want them. Just pay me the postage costs.

Neil - that would be great! Let me know how many beer tokens you require...

I am amazed how many of you lot do like kites - good on ya. It's a great sport. I hope we can meet up for a fly at some point.

Benzine

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
You could build a KEC with that 9m one
twybrow

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
All that power and it only weighs 3 kg! I must win the power/weight ratio!

pawgrp

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Me and a mate are looking to start, however the cost of £1250 for 10 days training is putting us off at the moment. How did you get started. Any advice gratefully received.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.