Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any power kite flyers out there?
twybrow

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is that for kitesurfing? It is quite different to land based kites.

I got into power kites when I was about 11. I bought a Flexifoil Stacker 6, and took it from there. Then just get out and fly. Talk to others - most will let you have a go on their toys as long as you can show you have some ability. I took the plunge to get a Blade, and built up the wind I would use it in.

I can reccomend Watergate Bay. This place is a kite mecca. They teach all sorts of abilities, and the beach is huge, with a good variety of kites/kiters about.

There will be a local power kite group to you who I'm sure you could join and learn through? Just like Locostbuilders, virtually all kiters I have spoken to have been great people....

neilj37

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pawgrp
Me and a mate are looking to start, however the cost of £1250 for 10 days training is putting us off at the moment. How did you get started. Any advice gratefully received.

That sounds like a kite surfing course. If you want to get into power kiting and buggying/landboarding it is a lot cheaper.

For a powerkiting & buggy lesson you should pay around £25/hour and should be kiting & buggying in a day.

[Edited on 27/3/08 by neilj37]

[Edited on 27/3/08 by neilj37]

pawgrp

posted on 27/3/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'm getting mixed up with paragliding, its the similar shape of the canopies thats done it. My drinking buddy seems to think he can buy one off ebay and just 'have a go', needless to say I have my reservations.
twybrow

posted on 27/3/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
In theory you can. You do not need a licence to fly a hand/foot launched machine. Paragliders, hangliders etc can all be bought and flown by beginners. Crazy really!

trogdor

posted on 27/3/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
the way i learnt was to start small with a 2.5 metre kite and take it easy. Oh and deffo join the buggy club etc so you have the public liability insurance. I still my have 2.5 beamer but i used to have a 11.2 peter lynn ARC which was a really nice kite you could float along for ages. Another plus you could use it in the water and if you crash it it wouldn't deflate and fill with water.

I also had a 16 metre peter lynn F-ARC that was very hairy, the aspect ratio was so high that it wouldn't half drag u in to the air.

I really must get back into it as it was really fun, still have a board too. was much better when i lived down south and could board on the beach.

pawgrp

posted on 27/3/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all for doing the course but a group of 3 of us is going to cost £375 per day. Now if thats for say 6 hrs tuition then thats not a bad hourly rate for somebody. Not sure what their overheads are but they can't be that high. Add on the cost of B&B, travel and meals and it's going to be a dear do. The other 2 are into the 'locost' way of doing things but I'm not too keen on getting a Darwin award.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.