Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My first question!
prawnabie

posted on 12/7/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
My first question!

Hi guys

I have already introduced myself in the general chit chat part of the forum, but I have a question now!

I haven't drove my car much as i only collected it last week and intend on rebuilding it before any major use, but when I drive over small drains, potholes etc, the back of the car feels like there is no suspension at all!

I have have a look at the rear axle etc and the "nose" of the diff seems much too close to the chassis at the end of the transmission tunnel than i would like - to the point that i think it is hitting the chassis and causing the bottoming out I mentioned above.

I have thought about raising the spring seat on the shocks, but the design of them beggars belief!!

Here is a bad pic of the axle under no load - you can see how close it is and where it has been rubbing the chassis

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2662164188_e0c2c6f5a9.jpg?v=0

here is a pic of the shocker bottom - anybody seen this type of shocker before?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2662165260_4504035fba.jpg?v=0

A new full set of coil overs is already on the list as i have zeemerrides up front. Can anybody suggest a set and spring ratings?

Thanks

[Edited on 12/7/08 by prawnabie]

RichardK

posted on 12/7/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
It a motocycle shocker but off what sorry dunno.

1000 posts !

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 12/7/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Can anybody suggest a set and spring ratings?

ou need to know the unfitted length as well as the spring rate. A good start would be to measure the springs that are on there now

John

coozer

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
That shocker looks like the type fitted to old 80's twin shock Z1000's and the like...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

prawnabie

posted on 13/7/08 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

ive just looked at the shocker and the spring seemed very coilbound with no load in the car.

There was also about 10mm of travel before the bumpstop was reached!!

the sticker on the spring said 120lbs!!! surely these are way to weak for the rear weight of a locost???

Thanks

pbura

posted on 13/7/08 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
Easy way:

1. Remove shocks and measure open and closed eye-to-eye lengths.
  2. Call a supplier of popular shocks for Locosts and order shocks of similar lengths with springs, 300# front, 175# rear. Edit: These may be a little stout for an X-flow, see http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=93196

Hard way, but less of a crapshoot:

1. Block up the car, remove shocks, and measure total wheel travel front and rear. Also note minimum and maximum shock length. While you're at it, measure front and rear unsprung weights.
  2. Make a judgment about where you'd like your ride height to be and how your wheel travel will be split between bump and droop. Consider having 15-25mm of rake from back to front to allow for the occasional heavy payload and to improve air flow under the car.
  3. Block the car at desired ride height and measure what the shock length must be at rest and at 1", 2", and 3" of wheel bump.
  4. Using pieces of tubing with drilled holes to simulate shocks at your ride height, load the car with a normal payload (you, possibly a passenger or half a passenger, half tank of fuel) and measure front and rear weights.
  5. Report back here with the data, and forum members will be able to suggest some shock and spring specs.

[Edited on 13/7/08 by pbura]

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.