Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Lid
jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
New Lid

Like a kid with a new toy

My new Arai GP-6S turned up this morning Very, very nice....just got to send it off to Ultimate Airbrush for the paint job. Not very Locost but I only buy a new one every 7-10 years

http://www.whyarai.co.uk/cgi-bin/arai_product.pl?id=GP6S&desc=Arai.GP-6S.Helmets.GP-6S

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Nice!

It's dearer than my motorbike helmet though (£530 Shoei) But you've gotta be safe and comfy, so fair play to you!

Steve

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Needed a Snell SA2005 helmet this time so I can go Sprinting or do the 6hr GOME event at Mallory. I wonder if trackday organisers will restrict it down to Motorsport helmets now that the MSA have outlawed Bike helmets.

With a spare anti-fog tinted visor it was £650 including the VAT. Unlike Bike lids it has VAT on it.

And if I win the Lotto this weekend I want one of these

http://www.whyarai.co.uk/cgi-bin/arai_product.pl?cat=G04.GP6&desc=GP-6.RC

[Edited on 23/1/10 by jeffw]

daniel mason

posted on 23/1/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
nice! makes my £60 second hand lid look a bit poo.
blakep82

posted on 23/1/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
whats the paint job going to be?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SPYDER

posted on 23/1/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Got myself one of these at Autosport last Sunday. Managed to get a good deal including Bell helmet bag and Sparco balaclava from Demon Tweeks of all people!
Geoff.

flibble

posted on 23/1/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice hat!

quote:

I wonder if trackday organisers will restrict it down to Motorsport helmets now that the MSA have outlawed Bike helmets

Sorry if it's a silly question but essentialy what's the difference between a motorsport helmet and a bike one?

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is my Arai RX7 bike helmet

so I was going to get Richard at Ultimate Airbrush to update it a little but use the basic design ideas.

My Arai GP-6S was Demon Tweeks and I got £80 discount over the phone.

02GF74

posted on 23/1/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
HOW MUCH!?!?!?!

You need your head examined.

I get by with one of these.
Comse in white and contains paint so you can customise it yourself.

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
When I started biking at 16 (a very long time ago back in the seventies !) someone told me to always buy the best helmet I could afford.

I have tended to live by that when purchasing. I couldn't afford the GP-6RC at £2500 +VAT but if I could I would buy it. Same with the GP-6S...I can afford it so I have. Just paid Gordo £35K for my part of the banks we all bought which was slightly less than expect so...new lid

RK

posted on 23/1/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Remember kids-with-too-much-money, it has to FIT for it to actually work. Also, they don`t last forever so need replacing every few years.
blakep82

posted on 23/1/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
oooh i like that design
one day i might get a helmet painted to match my car. need to paint my car first though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Remember kids-with-too-much-money, it has to FIT for it to actually work. Also, they don`t last forever so need replacing every few years.

That is pretty condescending. I'm fully aware of the need for a helmet to fit, as I was 1977 when I bought my first one. As for the" kids with too much money" dig....that is beneath you.

The GP-6S is the replacement for the Arai GP-5K and is a popular choice in Sprinting or club racing and would not be considered extravagant in those circles.

SPYDER

posted on 23/1/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Remember kids-with-too-much-money........

So assuming that you personally aren't a "kid-with-too-much-money" pray tell us what you have spent your money on.
Looking through the pics in your archive it wasn't welding lessons.
So. remember "kids-who-seemingly-can't-weld-properly" it has to be done by someone who can do it properly otherwise it might be as dangerous as an ill-fitting helmet!
Sorry if that sounds condescending but hey, this is the internet!
My new lid, pictured above, only cost £310 and, as you rightly point out, will last for years. Cheap really, isn't it.
If you weren't a million miles away I could arrange for some welding lessons from Eldon, my co-builder.
The humility lessons you can sort out for yourself.
And please post a pic of your lid.
Geoff.

Nash

posted on 23/1/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK

So what value do you put on your head?

Statements like yours shock me and believe me when I say very little shocks me.

I bet you wouldn't think about buying flame proof safety gear either!!!??

Not expensive when you consider what it does for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAyPQPvav6M&feature=related

May have been a throw away remark but confusius say "when foot in mouth, stop talking"

Have a safe day.

...Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry if it's a silly question but essentialy what's the difference between a motorsport helmet and a bike one?

The major differences are the Motorsport ones have a Nomex (or similar) interior which is fireproof/resistance and have a considerably smaller visor aperture which a thicker visor.

On a Bike you can sit with your head at a lot of different angles (crouched down racer style or laid back on a cruiser) and therefore the aperture needs to be large to accommodate this. There is also an expectation that you'll not be on or near the bike if it bursts into flames ( or not for long anyway).

In a car you tend to sit in much the same position regardless of which type of car you are in. So the aperture is reduced to minimise the area of the visor. They are fireproof/resistant to allow you to have an accident in a car on fire and then get out without having a helmet melting or burning to you. Even the strap is fireproof on Motorsport helmets.

The MSA have stopped the use of bike helmets in none race or club race events so everyone who competes in a MSA event will now need a SA2005 or equivalent lid. BS6658 Type A isn't allowed all though BS6658 Type A/FR as is SA2000 & SA2005.

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I remember being at the Ring 2 years ago when I met a father and son in a Caterham. Very nice car, 1.8 K Series on fuel injection. Had a long chat about the car and the Ring etc etc.

The following day I saw them again....The father had bandages on his hands up to his elbows and had lost all of the front of his hair, eyebrows etc and had pretty bad looking burns on his face and also had bandages on his chest.. The son had very minor burn on his chin. Apparently the fuel lines had split on a flat out section of the track and had soaked the two guys in fuel...which then ignited. The son was in a fire proof helmet, suit, boots and gloves but the father was in a bike helmet and normal leather gloves. Certainly made me think....

rickys2000

posted on 23/1/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I just dont get the personal or condescending comments approach.
The guy has got a new lid and is proud of it. If we could all get the best quality we could afford wouldn't we do that to give ourselves the maximum protection in an accident. Unfortunately quality comes with a price.....

beaver34

posted on 23/1/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks nice, im getting one of these when ive finished rebuilding the car

http://www.v2sport.com/v2pro.html

flibble

posted on 23/1/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ahh, nice one, that's more my price range and having not considered anything other than my bike helmets until I read this thread I may well go for it

Edit: Nice, it generates downforce, I'll get stick one on the boot lid too

[Edited on 23-1-10 by flibble]

beaver34

posted on 23/1/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
quote:

Ahh, nice one, that's more my price range and having not considered anything other than my bike helmets until I read this thread I may well go for it

Edit: Nice, it generates downforce, I'll get stick one on the boot lid too

[Edited on 23-1-10 by flibble]

yeah they seem good, nice guys to deal with way going to get one last year but they were out of stock in my size, seem fantastic for the price, and they might not try and lift like the bike helemts i use at the moment,

jeffw

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly nothing wrong with the V2 pro....it has the same safety cert as the Arai

beaver34

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Certainly nothing wrong with the V2 pro....it has the same safety cert as the Arai

so why pay more for a lid then? not being funny what is better?

jeffw

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
For me personally it is fit & finish as well as trusting the Arai brand to do as much as possible to save my head. Having had 5 or 6 Arai helmets and crashed bikes in 2 of them without serious damage I decided to stick with them. Simple as that really.

Anyway helmet is back from Ultimate Airbrush and looks awesome.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/3/10 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
This is the last new lid I got.
Sorry for the blood btw!

Argh trying to figure out how to resize this
Would you believe this is actually the best pic I have of that helmet lol.
[Edited on 6/3/10 by Badger_McLetcher]

[Edited on 6/3/10 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.