Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid Engined Gear Linkage Problem
dmac

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

At the moment it looks like moving the top of the gear lever forwards will move the lower control rod backwards because of the UJ at the skin plane, if this is the case then it seems that if you changed the universal joint to a hinge orientated side to side to control the rotation of the lower rod, then used a sliding horizontal rod through the upper eye ends so that the whole assembly moved forwards and backwards as you go through the 1-2 change that would fix your problem. You might have to increase the stiffness of the assembly in the 1-2 plane to keep the gearchange tight.

Duncan

Mr C

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Russ, yes its actually another rod end with a bit of threaded rod welded on below is another view which you can just make it out

I suppose it would be the twisting motion that would cause the snagging, they could be fixed into one position as they don't need to rotate as such or perhaps get some longer sleeves machined into them.

Alan, that's a nice set up there, I guess the MR2 gear change works using a similar principle? another potential option.

Thanks all.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

russbost

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm inclined to agree with Duncan that as long as the assembly is kept stiff then there's no reason why it shouldn't work, certainly adding tubes longer than the rod ends should help.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr C

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Hi,

At the moment it looks like moving the top of the gear lever forwards will move the lower control rod backwards because of the UJ at the skin plane, if this is the case then it seems that if you changed the universal joint to a hinge orientated side to side to control the rotation of the lower rod, then used a sliding horizontal rod through the upper eye ends so that the whole assembly moved forwards and backwards as you go through the 1-2 change that would fix your problem. You might have to increase the stiffness of the assembly in the 1-2 plane to keep the gearchange tight.

Duncan

Lightbulb moment me thinks!!! sounds good to me Duncan, thank you.

[Edited on 21/11/11 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

Mr C

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Russ, Duncan, Jack et all, a big big thank you, I'll keep you posted.

Mike

pezzer

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Mike,

Looking good! How's the feel on the rod linkage?

This gearchange stuff looks a right PITA. I'm hoping one of you/scoobybits/simon will have got a decent linkage sorted by the time I get round to it!

Dan

Mr C

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pezzer
Hey Mike,

Looking good! How's the feel on the rod linkage?

This gearchange stuff looks a right PITA. I'm hoping one of you/scoobybits/simon will have got a decent linkage sorted by the time I get round to it!

Dan

Hi Dan, good to hear from you. If I could reverse the pattern and keep the feel I'd be over the moon. I'd be happy to drive the car as it is,but unwilling to let anyone else do so as they could be easily confused with the current gear pattern and then potentially doing some damage. I'm trying the suggestion above though have reservations as there will be no pivot point as such for fore/aft movement. Hopefully give it a try at the weekend.

All the best, Mike.

pezzer

posted on 23/11/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to drive my brothers Integra type r a lot, and was forever putting the windscreen wipers on whilst going round roundabouts I guess there's something to be said for conformity!

When I first saw the issues on your blog, I was trying to figure out the options. The best I could come up with was an MR2 shifter with cables and something on the back a bit like the video fluidslvr posted.

If your's is working well, then I shall be paying close attention to what you do!!!

Dan

Mr C

posted on 1/12/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick update, I tried a sliding arrangement though it was not too successful, so I'm reverting back to the reverse pattern arrangement to get me on the road. At some point I'll look at a rod / cable hybrid system using some of the ideas posted here, so thanks again all for taking the time to post and helping me on the way.

Mike

Russell

posted on 1/12/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this:

Link to Subaru shifter on YouTube

Russ

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Mr C

posted on 1/12/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ, yes I think it was posted earlier in the thread by fluidslvr, I believe a gearchange loosely based on this has been developed on scoobybits democar. Simon is looking to production ise it so I'll hang fire for a little while. The other system that I fancy, though it still needs an adopter plate developed is this one

linkage

An adopter plate along the same principles of the film clip you posted should work with it. The only down side is cost and as usual with these things my build budget / costs have spiralled.

Mr C

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to resurrect this thread, this should have been sorted ages ago but it still festers on. I did opt in the end for the iminent fatory option gearshift, hoping for delivery in January, but Simon's been deteriorating since I ordered the kit over two years ago and has now caught G-t-itus along with a serious dose of the darengeorges. So its back to plan A if I want to see this boat anchor on the road for summer. Anyhow enough of the small talk.

I'm after a kind hearted CAD competent person who can draw some brackets and plates for me so I can get them cut which nicely leads on to the second bit, I also need someone to cut them. I'm happy to pay a fair and reasonable rate though please let me know before hand as I hate surprises guestimates, builders quotes and double glazing salesman

Below is a couple of rough drawings of two of the parts, as a starter for ten I need two of each.

I'll need about another 5 or so pieces done, all a similar level of detail though its dependant on a couple of things this week. any assistance would seriously be gratefully received as I want this out the way now as its gone on for too long.

Thanks, Mike.

eddie99

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be happy to draw them up in CAD tomorrow or Tuesday evening if no one beats me to it. Can then give you DXF files to give to laser cutters etc..

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr C

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I'll be happy to draw them up in CAD tomorrow or Tuesday evening if no one beats me to it. Can then give you DXF files to give to laser cutters etc..

Eddie, this is very kind of you, thank you I will endeavour to draw the other parts which are all flat plate, and as follows:

Gear shift top plate x 1

Gearbox Short Push Pull Cable Mount

Gearbox Long Push Pull Cable Mount
(these two are the same as the one already sent except the lengths are different and are still to be finalised)

Gearbox mounting bracket

Possible Gearbox Bell Crank Sides

There's no massive rush as I'm awaiting delivery this week, of a one piece alloy bell crank, (looks great btw!)which if fits will save a lot of fiddling about and will determine the measurements of the gearbox parts, which I can then finalise and post up.

Thanks again Eddie, appreciated. please let me know what I owe you for this, or at least what your tipple is and I'll make sure I catch up with you in the paddock.

Mike.

eddie99

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
No Problem, I'll let you know when i get them done Wont owe me anything, it shouldnt take any more than a couple of mins...

[Edited on 18/3/12 by eddie99]

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

russbost

posted on 19/3/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you want them laser cut, I can put them in with my next batch of laser cutting, they're ok with doing one-offs as long as the overall order is over their min amount (which it will be), just email me the dwg files when Ed's done them. I can obviously get a price on everything b4 committing, tho' they are usually very competitive.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Mr C

posted on 19/3/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
If you want them laser cut, I can put them in with my next batch of laser cutting, they're ok with doing one-offs as long as the overall order is over their min amount (which it will be), just email me the dwg files when Ed's done them. I can obviously get a price on everything b4 committing, tho' they are usually very competitive.

Sounds like a great plan to me!! Thank you Russ and thanks again Eddie, I really do appreciate this. As mentioned I'm awaiting the arrival of a bell crank for the gearbox end. Its from the rear suspension of a Yamaha motorbike. I'm hoping it'll arrive in the next two or three days. Then I can finalise the measurements for the other parts I need cut.

Below are a couple of images of a mock up using a wooden bellcrank, its a similar design to the one in the video clip posted in a previous post. though I'm trying to keep it as tidy as possible given ts prominent position. I'm going for M10 cables I'm not convinced that 6mm cables will do the trick because of the loaded gate across from 3-4 to 5-R.

The floor mounted gearshift is from a Toyota Celica GT4 and is a nice piece of kit with all metal construction. I've rotated the levers so they are all operating in the right direction I'll put some images up once its roughly fitted in situ. Its all a bit of a lash up as there aren't many transferable skills from my day job as a mental health nurse, but hopefully it'll come good in the end

Thanks again Guys

Mike

eddie99

posted on 20/3/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Done the brackets, Whats your email and i'll send over the working drawings so you can double check before they go to Russ

What thickness by the way? Just so my CAD models can look neat.

Can you give me the dims for the m6 hole in the gearshift baseplate that is on the left hand side with no height dim.

[Edited on 20/3/12 by eddie99]

Mr C

posted on 20/3/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
The hole to the left is 27.5mm "high" from the bottome edge. Its at the centre point of the two circles to the right. The thickness is 3mm My email is [removed at request of Mr C]

I'm currently fitting up the new bell crank and a mounting plate for the push pull mounts and cable, once done I'll have the measurements for the other couple of bits which I should be able to post up tomorrow evening at some point.

I'll post an image shortly of the rear mechanism, hopefully it doesn't look too Heath Robinson. Anyone viewing, let me know what you think.

Thanks again Eddie

Mike

[Edited on 4/4/2012 by ChrisW]

eddie99

posted on 20/3/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had guessed it was half way, just wanted to check Will email the drawings over tonight.

Mr C

posted on 20/3/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Gearchange as of end of play tonight.

The bit of box section needs to be cut down and mounted properly, the push pull cable brackets will then go on there. the m10 rods currently showing are temporary and have tape on them which indicates the distance the cables need to be fixed from the rod ends (183mm). The studs coming through the box section will be cut down. Can anyone spot the rusty bolt that I need to sort?

The view from the back, hopefully not too obtrusive looking.

Mr C

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Gearshift top plate.

Hopefully the measurements can be seen f not here's a link to the image on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckmoreboy/6860539118/sizes/l/in/photos tream/

One last small bracket to follow

Cheers Eddie.

Mike

eddie99

posted on 22/3/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate
Sorry didn't get a chance to email drawings over, now won't get a chance to do the cad till Tuesday, ill try do it all for you Tuesday. Sorry for the delay

Mr C

posted on 22/3/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Eddie here's the last two which are quite straight forward

I also need a variation of one of the previous drawings, the "push pull mount" Along the bottom of the drawing is a measurement for 50mm I also need one that is 80mm.

Hopefully that's it Eddie, with a bit of luck the parts will bolt together, I can get some cables made to measure then hey presto one slick gearchange and one IVA'd car.

Thank you

Mike

Mr C

posted on 26/3/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Measured up for the cables and ordered them today. Used "a bit" of garden hose to do the measuring as in the images below. Pleased there's a hosepipe ban coming as I've not a lot of hose left!!

The gearshift is a toyota GT4 one which I've turned "upside down"

I've gone for 10mm cables designed for use on buses!...a bit overkill though should be up to the job then.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.