Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR new reverse / Bec reverse unit / myths
disco_biscuit

posted on 2/5/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be putting my name down for one as soon as possible, don't mind field testing one

so my Quaife one will be for sale.

eccsmk

posted on 2/5/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
im interested in one for my indy
i have a gravel drive which slopes uphill away from the garage.

Jason Fletcher

posted on 4/5/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
as far as im aware all the units available at present constantly drive a chain when going forwards meaning 4 driven bearings as opposed to our two and use drive dogs ( as per a gearbox when going forward ) hence the backlash

cheers

marc

Not quite, if you are referring to Quaife as the "popular" unit then it only has three bearings and does not have a chain. There is however massive drag from the bearing and seals. I know the Quaife has one bearing on one flange shaft and two on the other. My problem is that I have the short prop which is at a 3 deg via a cush drive connected to the one with a single bearing so there’s always a side load and I'm not convinced it will last.

I spoke to Andy Bates and he told me about this unit. The Quaife is the only thing I would change on my car if there was a better alternative available and as I had not bought anything else at the show I was ready to buy one there and then if it looked as good as Andy said it was.

So, I asked today how many bearings your unit had and the guy refused to tell me as if it was a matter of national security which was fine but it was his arrogance and manner he spoke to me that really pi$$ed me off. Some people should stay in the workshop.

If your unit is as good as it looks and feels then as far I am concerned the others may as well take them out of production now because they won't sell any.

I would still like to buy one assuming the mounting holes are the same as the quaife and you think the side load that is put on at 3 deg by the cush drive won't harm it.

Jason

Agriv8

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Jason Sorry about you experience.

The honest answer to your question is 2 VERY EXPENSIVE bearings ( the most expensive part of the unit infact )

As for being able to run 3deg ? We would need to run that past the designer to run some calcs what sort of BHP are you putting through it ?

Not condoning the remark but until MNR have tried to get the patent side of things tied down there are only 3 people that know how it works ( I arnt one by the way ) but do know a few bits and bobs.

edit to add I arnt the one who passed the coment I suspect I know who was and will have a chat to Marc and Chris to avoid a repeat of the experice you encountered.

regards

Iain

[Edited on 4/5/09 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 4/5/09 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Jason Fletcher

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Iain

If they are applying for patents then fair enough, I would not want anyone knowing about it either but theres a right and wrong way to speak to someone and tell them that.

I am putting 200bhp and 100lbf torque (k8 Busa) through my Quaife. I am not sure what sort of side load would be put on the bearing with the cush trying to straighten a 3 deg prop.

thanks for your input

regards
Jason

skidude88

posted on 5/5/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Arrogance!

Unfortunately, a few of us also walked away feeling the guy was a bit arrogant (to say the least!) and a bit put off

Exhibiting something new, punters are gonna ask questions before shelling out £500 on something tested on a bench. Especially when it has the potential of stopping us in our forward tracks if it goes belly up.

The nature of owners at a show is - "Oh shiny new things..." and then be inquisitive as to how it works,

(If it's on sale, there's nothing to stop the "competition" buying one and having a butchers anyway!)

That aside......

Congrats on the product - if its as good as is being said-felt!!

Seriously tempted

If someone could perhaps answer the following queries....

What warranty would come with this - as I've just mentioned - its early days and not exactly tried and tested on the road over any mileage-time period.

Also - would anyone have a ball part figure as to 2 piece propshafts?

It might be beneficial for MNR to have someone in the wings...that's if they don't already (I've not personally dealt with you before?)

Just a thought....Would there perhaps be a part exchange system for those of us with a 1 piece (length) shaft?

Good luck

James.

Early MK de-Dion CBR1000 FJ-FP.

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I heard the exact same thing off at least three other people and experienced quite a bit of the same myself outside whilst AB was repairing the wingstay.

I have to admit it wasn't directed at me, so I didn't pass comment, and I'm glad I didn't because it doesn't reflect Marc's personality at all. But very annoying to be honest...

Jason Fletcher

posted on 10/5/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Any more news on this yet? I have 500 quid burning a hole in my pocket if this reverse unit will be ok for my installation.

Jason

[Edited on 10/5/09 by Jason Fletcher]

Agriv8

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
sorry jason thought I had posted a reply the other day but it has disapeared.

Anyway the development unit (the one off the stand ) is back on the red car off the stand and flying arround yorkshire as I type.

After destruction testing I belive it is going back to check tolerances and for wear. After this we will be able to answer your questions

kind regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Jason Fletcher

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
cheers

Jason

[Edited on 13/5/09 by Jason Fletcher]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.