Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would you intervene?
deanwelch

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
well done..like they say"for evil to prosper all it takes is for good men to do nothing"............karma
craig1410

posted on 3/3/10 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one - well done!

I've had a few situations where my poor impulse control has gotten me into similar situations. Most recently I was standing in a queue waiting to use a cash machine when a drunk guy came up and decided to skip the queue just as it was my turn.

Before I had time to think I said, "Oi, there's a queue!". The guy kinda snarled as he turned to face me and I realised he was about 6 inches taller and probably 5 stone heavier than me. Oops!

If there had been a piano playing then it would have stopped! Other people in the queue were backing away slowly... I stood my ground and glared back at him and he then started apologising and went calmly to the back of the queue. I kept him in view as I got my cash just in case he had second thoughts...

Prior to that event a cement lorry driver blatantly ignored me when he was blocking a side street through which I wanted to pass. I waited patiently to begin with then after a minute or so I flashed my lights. After a bit longer I gave a polite "peep" on the horn and then a long "peep". All the time I could see him looking at me in his mirror and was laughing to his mate sitting next to him. He was waiting to drop his cement at an adjacent building site and they were eating lunch. I lost my cool and got out of my car and walked up and opened the driver's door. He started to apologise and claim that he hadn't seen me. I said, "yes you f***ing did, now move your ar$e!". And he did!!!

Another time, I was driving through a residential estate with a mate and we saw a young lad run up behind a girl and grab her round the neck from behind like in a choke hold. She initially looked like she was fighting him off so I screeched to a halt and opened the car door and was about to get out. The girl realised how things looked and said something to the lad who then looked over and released her. They both smiled and walked up the road laughing.

One word of advice I would give is that if you do decide to intervene then do so strongly with confidence and then get back out of harm's way quickly. It's a bit like tackling in Rugby - go in half-heartedly and you'll get hurt.

I'd also recommend a book called "Dead or Alive" by Geoff Thomson. It describes physiological responses in fight or flight situations and how they affect your ability to cope rationally under the influence of adrenaline. Really the only way to train for it is to experience it regularly through some form of fight training such as Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or another martial art. Or I suppose you could get a job on customer service for Easyjet...

morcus

posted on 3/3/10 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with the poster above, you have to go in with full force of mind, and be prepared to what you have to.

Wht you should of done is stopped, got out of the car (This works best if your tall in a smallish car as the unfolding makes you look bigger), walked purposefully towards him and punched him hard in the face, then you should have started talking.

In alot of circumstances, Just pulling up and getting out of a car can be enough to scare people into thinking you mean business (especially against tailgaters).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

russbost

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with pretty much everything said. More of us need to stand up & be counted! There is never any excuse for this sort of cruelty whether to man or beast

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T66

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
First of all well done for pulling the little poo !

The reason this country is the way it is (apart from NuLabour supporting the dross minority to know their rights) is folk have been prosecuted for hitting said turds when committing acts of anti social behaviour.

This has lead to a society where folk sadly walk past what is going on, therefore said turd starts to think he/they are actually "hard"....

However when confronted said turd/s usually are as soft as sh1te when fronted up by aggressive opposition.

Not saying its safe everytime, turd numbers need evaluating before sticking your neck out and whether your up for a punch up if it goes that way.

In my experience in such matters, if there are three turds No1 will fight you, No2 will try and join in, but if your busy battering his mate unlikely, No3 will either watch or leave.

If No1 gets the upper hand then No2 & No3 get braver and kick your ass.

So top tip make sure No1 is well sorted out and you get away with it.

More than 3 your pushing your luck bigstyle, but thats where your tongue is actually your best weapon, as it is in most cases.

Dross only understand being bullied, thats the environment where they come from, this country has gone to tits because the folk employed to suppress the dross have their hands tied behind their back with the human rights act and so on.

So well done that man !! if we all confront a turd a day the world would be a better place.

I am officially canvassing for the post of Prime minister, votes will be gratefully recieved.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/3/10 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to think I'd stop, but you don't know for sure until it happens to you. I've had a few run ins with chavs over the last few years, the worst of which was when I was attacked randomly in the centre of Bristol. Hit me from behind then ran off when I got enough wits to fight back, but left my face badly bruised. Police never got the buggers either.
It has made me a bit more wary, but I'd like to think that I would intervene.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.