Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: but WHICH engine ???
flak monkey

posted on 4/10/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey, way to start an argument alawrence

Your questions are undoubtedly vauge so deserve suitable vaue answers which is exactly what you have got. Unless someone writes out the pros and cons of every option then I doubt you will be satisfied.

I'll say now though, drop your attitude or you will find people will be unwilling to help you out - the worst thing you can do is alienate the helpful people on here.

But FWIW:

What race series are you planning to enter? - if its the locost series I believe you are restricted to the 1300 xflow. Other 750mc will allow bike engines I believe.

None of these cars are complex - even mine with the supercharger isnt complicated when you break it down. If you do your research then anything is possible.

TB's are no big hassle, neither is fuel injection. IMO both are well worthwhile if you want the best from whatever engine you fit especially if you want to track the car - unless its prohibited in the race series you want to enter.

Car engine wise, if you want minimum mods, bolt in power then zetec is simple and cheap. Not the most powerful by any stretch. The duratec is worth the extra effort and provides the same power as a highly tuned zetec,, but in standard form.

Bike engines - all are relatively straightforward to install.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scootz

posted on 4/10/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^^Good point... well made!^^^

It's Evolution Baby!

alawrence

posted on 25/10/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps
I think the operative word is "helpful ".
I’ve had some great advice from people on here even when the question may not be up to your standard.
However as an engineer of 25 years experience if I have learned one thing its recognising BS when i hear it from armchair experts who are well read but have actually done nothing.
You need to try and ensure that the person who needs advise is not belittled by the responses, instead of posting a response which is more for the benefit of other members. Just remember that this forum is here to help people like me, not to show members how clever they THINK they are.
As for the "drop the attitude" comment i would like to think that we are all adults and as such that sort of play ground aggression has no place here.
I would like to draw a line under this thread however i would like to bet that some of the less helpful members won’t be able to resist another snipe.

[Edited on 25/10/10 by alawrence]

NS Dev

posted on 25/10/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Disregarding all the fluff.............

Flakmonkey's engine setup is a very nice, sensible one, which makes bags of power and is very quick. (I imagine, though I've not been out in it! )

My vauxhall XE is also quick

Throttle bodies are very easy, and very nice once set up.

pratting about with carburettors can be a pain, especially used, "cheap" ones.

Use whatever engine you want. They ALL have pros and cons, including the bike engines.

There are a lot of poorly executed cars out there, with both bike and car engine power.

There are some very quick cars running"poor" engines on paper.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

alawrence

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
everytime I see a good idea i change my mind thats the problem
I think im going to go for a part built project which somone else has already made the decision for me...Ive seen on on ebay and im gonna go for it..i am ..i really am. I think
thanks for the info

username

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Do it, don't do it...

I don't think anyone gives a s**t

interestedparty

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alawrence
You need to try and ensure that the person who needs advise is not belittled by the responses, instead of posting a response which is more for the benefit of other members. Just remember that this forum is here to help people like me, not to show members how clever they THINK they are.

A Lawrence telling other people what they need to do

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

alawrence

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
i knew you would come out of the woodwork sooner or later...
how you doin sugarplumb xxx

[Edited on 25/10/10 by alawrence]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.