Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine running rough
DaveFJ

posted on 24/5/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
wife wouldnt let me play last night - had to work on her laptop

hopefully i can try again this evening.....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

DaveFJ

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Progress i think!

downloaded and ran tooth logger as suggested and its all over the shop! going to have to look at the setup again very closely and try to see why but its triggering all over the place at the moment... sometmise seeing a nice steady 35? teeth the going bananas and showing 4 or 5 between 'peaks'....

logs can be seen here although i cant work out the best way to review them.....

Here

[Edited on 24-5-11 by DaveFJ]

Dave

David Jenkins

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,

I can't speak for MS, but for Megajolt there are a few issues with the trigger wheel and VR sensor:

VR sensor cable screening: Use twin screened cable, preferably auto grade (but that's not compulsory). Only earth 1 end of the screening, otherwise you get interference loops that remove the effectiveness of the screening (in fact they can make interference worse).

VR sensor gap: should be around 1mm.

VR mount rigidity: MJ users have noted a problem where the VR sensor resonates, usually around 4k rpm, when the sensor mount isn't rigid. When the sensor starts vibrating then it plays havoc with the signal sent to the controller! Making the mount more rigid almost always gets rid of this problem.

None of these may be your problem - but they're worth eliminating.

Cheers,
David

coyoteboy

posted on 24/5/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be genuinely surprised if it was that considering the perfect RPM log curves spotted earlier? From your tooth logs, and I've only cast an eye over a few sections of the logs, you seem to have 35 teeth on every one and the missing tooth is clearly nearly 2x the normal tooth gaps? Seems to be fine unless you can point out a specific case in the logs? (I'm looking at the CSV). If you had synch errors you'd almost definitely see RPM glitches. The above comments about sensor wiring and mounting are of course correct.

[Edited on 24/5/11 by coyoteboy]

DaveFJ

posted on 25/5/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
will try again tonight with the tooth logging... was a bit rushed last night
willalso inspect the pickup and bracket again - it strikes me that if the bracket has cracked that would explain a lot.....

Dave

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/5/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just a couple of thoughts having looked at the log from earlier.

1) Plugs without resistors are not very nice for ECU and can cause interference on signal (i.e. on your trigger wheel perhaps) http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqresistor.asp

2) Your MAT is recording -40degC, are you based in the North? This would normally cause some overfueling on my car.

Good luck with your problems.

Matt

DaveFJ

posted on 25/5/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
damn didnt notice that one.. looks like i have lost the adjustments that were applied for my air and water temp sensors....
will have a looksy and see if i can put them back!

Dave

coyoteboy

posted on 25/5/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Of course, good spot Matt!
DaveFJ

posted on 25/5/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

1) Plugs without resistors are not very nice for ECU and can cause interference on signal (i.e. on your trigger wheel perhaps) http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqresistor.asp

Matt

Had thought of this but when my problems started i had the apr6fs plugs fitted which, obviously, do have resistors... I can refit them as the ap7fs ones havent fixed the issue but i dont think its the source of my problems

Dave

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/5/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW

MS2 upgrade is nice in so many ways (not just the spec sheet) but it tells you if the sync is lost in the log files "sync lost reason, and sync lost count". Really useful, and it would tell you if you had the triggering problems before you swapped the plugs, which is very useful when diagnosing problems.

Matt

DaveFJ

posted on 31/5/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Update

Did some checking over the long w/e and the air temp sensor seems to be working but the MS sees a constant -40

so...

that leaves the wiring or the MS itself... currently trying to disconnect stuff and gain access to trace the wires and test....

Also:
I made a new pick up bracket for the tooth wheel sensor. much sturdier now but the logs from tooth logger still look pretty crappy..... will try putting in some bypass wires for that as well and see if the signal gets better...

I worked out that my toothed wheel has a runout of about .5mm but it has always been like that and doesnt seem to have been an issue in the past....

Dave

coyoteboy

posted on 31/5/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't think your trigger logs looked bad at all, I could only ever see 35 teeth per rotation and reasonably sensible looking tooth times?

Just measure the voltage at the MS input pin, that'll tell you if it's the ADC channel blown or the wiring.

DaveFJ

posted on 1/6/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
spent yesterday evening re-calibrating my air and water temp senders... the inc files were miles off for some reason? think maybe it all got screwed when i changed laptops....

anyway, will upload new inc files when i am allowed garage time again and see what happens.... still trying to get at wires to test the circuit for the air temp sender as well.....

Dave

DaveFJ

posted on 5/6/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
well.. things are looking up

stripped back te engine bay loom and found the earth wire for the air temp sensor was broken...

have repaired it and did a quick run

see results at here

note: i have not uploaded the calibration settings for coolant and air so the readings are off but..... looks better even so!

will upload another log file once i have got the sensor calibration done...

cheers for all your help guys.. looks like i am finally getting somewhere

Dave

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.