Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling My Dax Rush to so I can buy some speaker cables :)
rf900rush

posted on 3/11/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Selling My Dax Rush to so I can buy some speaker cables :)

Tried Selling My Dax Rush this year, with no luck.

If I had, I could buy some new speaker cables. LINKY

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lewis

posted on 3/11/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
How can speaker cable be that expensive?!? Can you really tell the difference between the most expensive and the cheapest on there website?

I am a driving god!..........sort of

PSpirine

posted on 3/11/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
No.
splitrivet

posted on 4/11/11 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps the biggest load of snake oil this side of the black stump.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Autosri

posted on 4/11/11 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
fuck me thats plain stupid 7 grand for 5 meters of wire some people need help
coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Just dig a little deeper and you'll find people trying to convince you that speaker cables can be directional. Yes, that's right, the AC signal that travels both ways by definition prefers one direction in a conductor.......just listen, only refined ears can hear it - you can hear it right?....
LBMEFM

posted on 4/11/11 at 05:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think they are a bargain, it has probally taken years of careful research and developement to construct these highly sophisticated cables. The manufacturing process in it's self is very expensive and I understand the profit margins are very small. At last a company that puts quality before cost on what is the F1 product in acoustic world. I would like to wish Dr Richard Bews (wasn't he in the Likely Lads in the 60's before he became a doctor) all the luck in the world with his hifi wires.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by LBMEFM]

LBMEFM

posted on 4/11/11 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Only kidding

jeffw

posted on 4/11/11 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Just dig a little deeper and you'll find people trying to convince you that speaker cables can be directional. Yes, that's right, the AC signal that travels both ways by definition prefers one direction in a conductor.......just listen, only refined ears can hear it - you can hear it right?....

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC. As with everything else in life this is the law of diminishing returns, is it worth 7K, well to some people it is. I have lowly Linn speaker cables from my Naim amps to my Ruark speakers and the cable 'only' cost £250 but it sounds amazing when you put a piece of vinyl on the Sondek. If I had lots of money and it was something I was really into then 7K wouldn't put me off as there is sound engineering reasons why this makes a difference. To a generation listening to compressed MP3 dgital files on their iPods this means nothing but to a audiophile it is the equivalent to a 599 GTO Ferrari, something to aspire to.

probablyleon

posted on 4/11/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
HiFi is one of the biggest rackets on the planet. The "this sounds amazing, can't you hear the difference you cloth eared muppet" scenario has made these people a fortune. Yes, £7000 cables wlll be better than £20 ones from Maplins but the difference would be a bit like making your car 1
2lbs lighter and then waxing lyrical about the transformation.

Agriv8

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
No No No no no no whats the saying a fool and his money are easily parted

though on a similar vain - off to richer sounds at the weekend for a new AV Amp

Richer Sounds - do you want a £70 Dvi cable with that sir .

Me - The amp is only £150 and DVI is digital So no I will use my £3 from Asda thanks, now do you want my £150 or not !

Richer sounds - but you may get data loss with a £3 cable

Me - Possibly but I can get a gigabit digital signal down a 15 year old cat 5 lan lead, I will take my chance and spend the £67 on somthing else. PS please take a look at the markup your company is buying the £70 DVI cable for ( I guess about £7 )?

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Stott

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Woah that's a couple of singles in a bit of braid with soldered ends

I'll make you 50m for £2k, and it'll be done by lunch if u want, even got the parts here lol

In reply to a previous post, audio signal is ac

Atb
Stott

bmseven

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC. As with everything else in life this is the law of diminishing returns, is it worth 7K, well to some people it is. I have lowly Linn speaker cables from my Naim amps to my Ruark speakers and the cable 'only' cost £250 but it sounds amazing when you put a piece of vinyl on the Sondek. If I had lots of money and it was something I was really into then 7K wouldn't put me off as there is sound engineering reasons why this makes a difference. To a generation listening to compressed MP3 dgital files on their iPods this means nothing but to a audiophile it is the equivalent to a 599 GTO Ferrari, something to aspire to.

^ What he said, some people listen and some people LISTEN

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

MikeRJ

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC.

Its AC, speakers don't work well with DC since the cone has to be moved in both directions. In fact any decent amplifier will have protection circuitry to ensure DC never gets to the speaker since it could burn the voice coil out very quickly.

splitrivet

posted on 4/11/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

Its AC, speakers don't work well with DC since the cone has to be moved in both directions. In fact any decent amplifier will have protection circuitry to ensure DC never gets to the speaker since it could burn the voice coil out very quickly.

^ What he said, this thread just goes to prove you can fool some of the people....
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry, but as said above, you'd be wrong. Directional cables are snake oil, pure and simple.

Quality cables, of course, will affect signal output to some degree but not much beyond a "normal" quality level. I'd happily test any cable you send to me to assess the signal degradation along it to prove the point

probablyleon

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

I spend most of my life 'listening' in various studios and I'm certainly not immune to spending money (where it counts) in my own project studio; Neumann mics, Neve preamps etc etc but speaker cable?!? I think it would be impossible to truly tell the difference between standard 'good quality' speaker cable and anything more expensive. As for expensive digital cables, there was something in a magazine a few years back where apparently they managed to successfully make wet string work!

jeffw

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yeap....obvious brain damage in old age. As an electronic engineer I know loudspeaker speaker signals are AC in nature. I wasn't defending directional cable but rather suggesting that quality components, well designed, will produce better results than cheap end of the market. As I said it is diminishing returns.....

Macbeast

posted on 4/11/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember that the best speakers give 10% distortion, electrical to air pressure

If you have a 50' run from amp to speaker you might want to use thicker cable to reduce power loss and HF roll off.
Otherwise, spend your money on a street girl ( they fake it too )

Edit after actually looking at the site:

A £ 250 mains lead will make all the difference though

[Edited on 4/11/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Agriv8

posted on 4/11/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

I spend most of my life 'listening' in various studios and I'm certainly not immune to spending money (where it counts) in my own project studio; Neumann mics, Neve preamps etc etc but speaker cable?!? I think it would be impossible to truly tell the difference between standard 'good quality' speaker cable and anything more expensive. As for expensive digital cables, there was something in a magazine a few years back where apparently they managed to successfully make wet string work!

A BT engineer once said they can get digital over a peice of damp string in fact a large number of you lot in BT land are getting high speed internet over 10 - 15 year old crimped together copper.

Regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just hilarious, obviously some folk have never heard of the Emperors new clothes

Honestly the stuff people waste money on, god knows how they still have any left?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 4/11/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

jeffw

posted on 4/11/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

A BT engineer once said they can get digital over a peice of damp string in fact a large number of you lot in BT land are getting high speed internet over 10 - 15 year old crimped together copper.

Regards

Agriv8

There is an enormous difference between a digital signal (and no damp string wouldn't do it) over copper or fibre and an Analogue signal between an amplifier and a set of speakers.

Agriv8

posted on 4/11/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

Regards

Agriv8

There is an enormous difference between a digital signal (and no damp string wouldn't do it) over copper or fibre and an Analogue signal between an amplifier and a set of speakers.

Totaly agree ang have some good stuff wiring up my speakers ( not quite £250 ).

but I happy hooking up my PC through my AV amp using a £3 DVI cable so can pull 5.1 sound of the DVI before firing the picture up to the Flat pannel TV

regards

Agriv8

coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

Made me grin, but doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about or are not willing to spend money where it matters.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.