Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling My Dax Rush to so I can buy some speaker cables :)
Ninehigh

posted on 4/11/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

Made me grin, but doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about or are not willing to spend money where it matters.

True, and if you can hear £7000 difference then by all means pay for it. But I'd rather have the Dax and with the change I'd be able to buy ONE GALLON OF GAS!

coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

True, and if you can hear £7000 difference then by all means pay for it. But I'd rather have the Dax and with the change I'd be able to buy ONE GALLON OF GAS!

Agreed, completely

MikeRJ

posted on 4/11/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Just remember that the best speakers give 10% distortion, electrical to air pressure

Exactly! People spend thousands on exotic cables, super high end amplifier and sources, but seem to ignore the fact that the speakers are by far the most non-linear components in the entire system. Even the most expensive speakers available will cause vastly more colouring of the sound than the amplifiers and cables. Especially when said speakers are put into a finite sized room.

No doubt if you could actually build a perfect sound reproduction system, the audiofools would claim it sounded too 'clinical', and lacks the warmth of xxx system. i.e. they like a bit of distortion.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by MikeRJ]

theduck

posted on 4/11/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I love threads like this. Peoples are opinions are often very strong, and often mis-informed one way or another.

I used to work in this industry, and yes some of the mark ups are huge, and yes most definately some things are not worth the extra above others.

I wont get into the arguments, but will make these points:

Speaker cable is often sold as directional, and according to manufacturers it is to do with the way the wire is extruded... They also say that if used the wrong way round it will quickly become accustomed to being used that way, so is unimportant.

Interconnects are often directional, and this is to do with the way the shielding is connected.

When selecting componets for a hi-fi system, the priorty order for quality is:

Source (CD, tuner, turntable)
Pre-amplifier
Power amplifier
Speakers
Interconnects
Speaker cable
Mains

This order is used as no matter how good something further down the chain is, it cant replace what is already lost. I ran for some time a pair of £200 speakers on a system that retailed at nearly £5000 (I paid no where near that!), why didnt I replace them? Because the sound was fantastic! When I did eventually replace them, to quote an overused industry term, it was like a sheet had been lifted from infront of the speakers. Only problem was it revealed the the weakness that was my pre-amp, something that had been masked by the 'poorer' speakers

I'll stop now, I'm waffling.

jeffw

posted on 4/11/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

Made me grin, but doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about or are not willing to spend money where it matters.

The point I would make is that what you think is worth £7k or not isn't relevant. In this instant the company concerned are doing very nicely, thank you, so your value judgement isn't important. As with most things of this type (be it kitcars or £7K speaker cable) you have two things, the disposable income and the 'need' or 'want'. Just because you (and I) can't afford it and wouldn't even if we could doesn't matter as I'm sure the same has been said by someone of my Phoenix or your Dax. Esoteric HiFi is a world of its own (like kitcars) I'd just let those with the money get on with it. If you ever come across an Audiophile with the disposable income to buy items like this (and I know one or two) then take the chance to sit down and listen to the music, which is what is is all about at the end of the day, you will be amazed I'm sure.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.