Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: when does a car become a car?
blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
when does a car become a car?

Description
Description

had to put the truck out on the street today so i could do a bit of welding on a mates car, this got me thinking...

if a skip can be left out on the street, ok

my 'car' certainly looks like a car, but as it is, can't be driven, has no electrics at the moment, and no key to start it, no chassis number, and not registered, can it really be considered a 'car'?

there's a family at the end of the street, they sometimes are suspected of reporting people for stuff, but obviously never admit to it.
sister had a car reported years ago for tax running out that day. fair enough it was untaxed and parked on the street.
kid over the road had motorbikes, and rides them up and down the street, there was some issue there a while a go too, he had no license and neither did the bikes
but is my car really a car yet? yes its untaxed, and uninsured, but it can't have either yet and no way it can be

where does the line get drawn?
there's been no problems today, just curious

discuss

[Edited on 5/1/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Under similar circumstances, a friendly traffic cop explained it along the lines of:
"If it looks like it has been built or modified for road use, it will be classed as a road vehicle."
He then went on to explain that it would be up to a judge to decide if your 'thing' was a vehicle or a skip.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisbeale

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i would think because its not registered then you cant have a "ticket" written for it as they would have nothing to reference it too. once its got plates and requstered as a car, then i would say yes its a car.
MakeEverything

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's a car because it has a registration document (should have). As its parked on the road, it's done so without tax or insurance and is liable for towing and/or crushing. A skip still requires a license from the local authority before placing it on their property.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mcerd1

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
make a skip disguise for it out of cardboard painted yellow

what about this:

-

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Yes it's a car because it has a registration document (should have). As its parked on the road, it's done so without tax or insurance and is liable for towing and/or crushing. A skip still requires a license from the local authority before placing it on their property.

well, this is it, it doesn't have a registration document, as its never been S/IVA'd, has no chassis number, and is not possible to to start or drive in its current state, yet it does LOOK like a car
and i'm not saying its a skip lol, but is an 'object' at the side of the road, as a skip can be an object at the side of the road

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a SKIP to me

Only joking Blake
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cornishman

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a Skoda badge on it....... You'l be fine

Steve.

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Looks like a SKIP to me

Only joking Blake
Graham

well, it doesn't look its best... going to get some white or grey filler primer soon to so the whole lot. should look a bit more respctable then lol

Benzine

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
If it's not a legal vehicle (i.e. no V5, chassis number etc etc) then how would it differ from, say, a bowtop wagon? It's just an unpowered thing with 4 wheels, and you don't need MOT, tax and insurance for a bowtop.
Mr C

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cornishman
Stick a Skoda badge on it....... You'l be fine

Steve.

So last year..

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

loggyboy

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here is your answer:

The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as "a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".

More details here on case law:
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences/#definition

Basiclly if the courts/jury/member of the public would consider it a 'motor vehicle' then it is one!

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/1/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a few years ago, (before S.O.R.N.), I had a mate whose 'car' got ticketed by plod, because it was untaxed, unisured and according to them parked on the road. He went to court and won his case. He argued, with appropriate evidence, that at the time of the 'alleged' offence the item in question was not actually a motor vehicle of legal description. This was due to the fact that, at the time of the 'incident' and for some months previously the alleged vehicle had been and still was located on site with the front end up on ramps and the alleged vehicle had no engine, gearbox or propellor shaft, and, us such, was incapable of being classed as a motor vehicle as it was no longer capable of being 'self propelled' as in the legal definition of a 'motor vehicle'.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mookaloid

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know whether it's a car or not but you could be done for causing an obstruction on a pavement

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
i don't even think the postman uses the pavement... its a dead end street of 13 houses, so very little pedestrian traffic. they walk to the their cars, then drive off

afj

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Would you rather get a ticket for an untaxed vehicle on the road. ........or........ Fly tipping a heap of metal and fibreglass

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

owelly

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
JGG, please tell me more!

quote:

Quite a few years ago, (before S.O.R.N.), I had a mate whose 'car' got ticketed by plod, because it was untaxed, unisured and according to them parked on the road. He went to court and won his case. He argued, with appropriate evidence, that at the time of the 'alleged' offence the item in question was not actually a motor vehicle of legal description. This was due to the fact that, at the time of the 'incident' and for some months previously the alleged vehicle had been and still was located on site with the front end up on ramps and the alleged vehicle had no engine, gearbox or propellor shaft, and, us such, was incapable of being classed as a motor vehicle as it was no longer capable of being 'self propelled' as in the legal definition of a 'motor vehicle'.

I'm very interested to know more about this court case. Once a ruling like that has been passed, it becomes usable in other cases. It may be the wording of the ticket that got your mate off the ticket or some other technicalities, but the claim it wasn't a motor vehicle because it din't have the ability to 'self propel' wouldn't get him off.

contaminated

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Are we not missing the point here a bit? Even if it's not a car can you name any other large object that you can just plonk in the road without permission? You need permission (if not road tax) for a skip in theory don't you? That said, what about caravans and trailers? Similar to your truck in some respects.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

owelly

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Which is why I'm interested in JGGs mates case!
I had a lot of grief over a boat mounted on a trailer, a car rolling shell and a plant trailer that was not on the highway, but in a 'public place'. The traffic cop I mentioned in the first reply to this thread, explained what they classed as a 'motor vehicle'. I'm not too sure of the exact wording but it went along the lines of what I posted.
Claiming a vehicle isn't a motor vehicle just because it can't 'self propel' is very odd as it means you can simply run out of fuel, pull off a plug lead, eat the keys, to make it perfectly legal to dump it out in the road.

RAYLEE29

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it was on a trailer it would be ok? wouldnt it? just a thought.
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

owelly

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
A motor vehicle mounted on a trailer then becomes a part fo the trailer therefore must comply with the trailer construction and use regs. The trailer must be parked safely, in accordance with the road traffic act (including being parked facing the correct way with reflectors etc) and have third party liability insurance (which will be covered if attached to an insured tow vehicle).

MikeR

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess the definition of self propell is could it reasonably self propell. If you add fuel it will go. If you fix the plug lead it will go etc etc.

If it has no engine, gearbox, propshaft then its pretty impossible for it to go without major work.

(all guesswork & looking forward to the answer as it could be interesting)

mad4x4

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I'd guess the definition of self propell is could it reasonably self propell. If you add fuel it will go. If you fix the plug lead it will go etc etc.

If it has no engine, gearbox, propshaft then its pretty impossible for it to go without major work.

(all guesswork & looking forward to the answer as it could be interesting)

So I take a Landrover - Drop off both Prop shafts and I can then park it on a street without tax insurance or SORN - Yeah Right......

I think we have hit what is technically known as a grey area.....

same with insurance - when does a collection of Steel/ fibre glass etc become a car and is there for not covered as contents or a garage on house insurance.... same thing?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

coyoteboy

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'd have to say that the roads are a place for transport to move around safely, not a rubbish dump or a storage location. And you need a permit to put a skip on the road.

quote:

there's a family at the end of the street, they sometimes are suspected of reporting people for stuff, but obviously never admit to it. sister had a car reported years ago for tax running out that day. fair enough it was untaxed and parked on the street. kid over the road had motorbikes, and rides them up and down the street, there was some issue there a while a go too, he had no license and neither did the bikes but is my car really a car yet? yes its untaxed, and uninsured, but it can't have either yet and no way it can be

Sounds to me like you live in a place where plenty of people try to flout the law, so I suspect the police will frown on you as they would frown on other people in the area.

blakep82

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Sounds to me like you live in a place where plenty of people try to flout the law, so I suspect the police will frown on you as they would frown on other people in the area.

lol, never been to gourock have you? its far from that round here. can't remember the last time i saw a police car up here for any reason
as for traffic moving around safely, the guy over the road moved his pick up 10 minutes later after he finished washing it, and then 2 cars left in the following 2 hours. quite safely

[Edited on 5/1/12 by blakep82]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.