Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  26    27    28    29    30    31    32  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/2/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you ever stop photography, you could go into trailer manufacturer!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

rdodger

posted on 23/2/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic. Great to see it finished.

Have you tied the car down form the chassis to the trailer?

I ask because I thought the preferred option was to tie the wheels down so the suspension on the car still worked over bumps and didn't try and stretch the straps?

yellowcab

posted on 23/2/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I hear ya and I probably would for any usual road car, but to think this weighs as little as it does I can't see it giving me any problems.
daveb666

posted on 24/2/14 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Trailer looks great as I said over the weekend

In regards to strapping the car down I would strongly recommend either getting straps that hold down each tyre on each corner or alternatively straps that go through the wheels.

By tying the chassis down rather than just the wheels - your trailer and car are becoming 'one' - so when you go over a bump both the trailer, and car (750kg) will be going up and down as a single unit as opposed to the trailer and car moving in isolation of each other.

If you hit a dip or bump on the motorway you do risk the trailer fish-tailing or, just generally making towing a pain.

When I look out the rear window when towing mine you'd be surprised how much the car bobs about on its own suspension even on what feels like a very smooth road.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

P ?

posted on 24/2/14 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Loving this...... Keep building !!!
P ?

posted on 24/2/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
2nd post :-p
daniel mason

posted on 24/2/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
i tie the 2 fronts pulling forward.and the 2 rears pulling backwards. never had an issue other than a snapped cheapo wratchet strap on the way back from mallory!

yellowcab

posted on 26/2/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
So the finishing touches to the trailer are now done… until of course I decide to take that to bits aswell, however the good thing is, I can't possibly blow the engine up on my trailer - so I'm safe there!

Whipped wheels off, gave them a scrub, and some Hammerite Smooth Silver, totally expecting it to react like most things do whenever I do anything paint related lol

Surprisingly took well

Job jobbed, off down to Kwik Fit to have them inflated and balanced

Before refitting them, didn't want rusty bolts holding them on lol so I sprayed them matt black

Bosh, happy with the result, considering the lack of prep on every part

Now 'complete'

yellowcab

posted on 26/2/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
OK here goes, built up the courage to cut up the carbon, so out comes the angle grinder

Love working on the car on the trailer, perfect height and can roll under it easily

Decided that I wanted the diffuser to go behind the whole back of the car, not just the clam, so behind the cycle wings too, so here is the cuts

Snippy snippy

Offered it up, this thing is so wide, it would have fitted the trailer perfectly on width lol

It seems that Strakka racing team know I wanted to mount my Hayabusa fuel pump out the bottom of the tank, as the pre-preg carbon had a little dip especially made lol

But because the wishbones need to be able to go full droop, the only way it will fit is not fixed to the bottom of the rear clam, so I'll make up some ally stays, and wrap them in carbon… this is how it'll sit… slutty!

Oh and decided that the 'wings' would do nothing but look sh!t, and more hassle than its worth, so I lopped them off too

yellowcab

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Just looking back through old pages, so the last time I drove the car was 25th October 2013... 3 months ago today... during that time...

> Bought & fitted a Healtech Speedohealer - so I'll have an accurate speedo, such a luxury! (adding 87 grams)
> Changed from heavy 15" wheels, down to light 13" wheels, saving 24.4kg dry, and 18.0kg wet of unsprung weight

Wheel & tyre combo weights
Caterham 6J wheels with Avon CR500 175/55/13 tyre - 10.2kg (my dry fronts)
Caterham 6J wheels with Yoko Advan A005 Slick 200/50VR13 tyre - 11.6kg (my dry rears)
Total dry weight: 43.6 kg
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 185/60/13 tyre - 12kg (my wet & every day fronts)
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 205/60/13 tyre - 13kg (my wet & every day rears)
Total wet weight: 50.0 kg

> Removed old stuck seized rear callipers, and shafted pads - with new ones (no weight change)
> Made a boot box (adding a 1.3kg)
> Sold old fuel filler & steel connecting pipework (saving 1.2kg)
> Bought trailer bits - still WIP
> Bought 3.14 rear diff, but decided to wait until next winter to do the swap to eliminate anymore 'down time'
> New Carbon CSR cycle wings (currently fitting) (saving 824grams)
> Swapped from MK Indy nose cone, to Donkervoort (saving 2kg)
> Carbon wrapped foamex rad ducting (adding 198 grams)
> Most importantly, having my car setup at ProComp

Sooooo... 542kg start weight, came off the road, 3 months later... going back on the road at 517kg (25kgs down)

With 13" wheels, and having been setup, and rear brakes that actually work... I'm rather excited about taxing it on Saturday (1st February!)

> Removed driver seat slider & lowered seating position (saving 3.9kg)
> Replaced old perspex boot lid, with new Di-bond carbon wrapped item (saving 2.1kg)
> Carpet pieces added to seats to stop submarining & general sliding about when driving hard
> Carbon passenger foot rest (adding 750grams)

517kg from the last update, minus 3.9kg, minus 2.1kg plus 750grams… makes running total around 511kg

sdh2903

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Reckon you'll get down to the magic 500kgs?
yellowcab

posted on 26/2/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not without removing the cage to be honest, which I'm not interested in doing…

I have lightweight wheels now, Wilwood front brakes with solid disks, light nose cone, I don't have a reverse box anyway

I suppose I could by removing certain comforts out the car, again, not really wanting to do that to be honest…

The only way I could shed more unladen weight would be to remove carpet, get ally front uprights, get rid of the boot box, rid the passenger footrest that I've just put in, remove passenger seat… all of which I'm not fussed about doing…

Something I could do without more carbon panels, is to replace my exhaust can which is around 11kg at the moment, a nice carbon one from Julian is 3.3kg...

ReMan

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
11kg!
No idea what mine are bit that sounds a lot?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

sdh2903

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
So that would be 7.5 kg loss for the exhaust. That would only leave 3.5kg to lose! Think you need some nice carbon rear arches to match the fronts
yellowcab

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Colin, the Aprilia RSV Mille can is known as 'the anchor' in the bling world simply because it's stupid weight.

Carbon fibre rears are generally just grp with carbon over, which makes them no lighter than FG items

daveb666

posted on 27/2/14 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Top work as usual Olly.

Can I make one last observation on the trailer - the ramps and wheel troughs on factory trailers usually have holes down their length - these holes act as:

• Drain Holes
  • Weight Reduction
  • Strap Mounting Points

If/when you ever get caught in a rain shower you will be amazed at the amount of water that your troughs will hold. I'd really suggest taking a hole-saw to them:

It may something you wish to consider

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

yellowcab

posted on 4/3/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the ideas Dave - my trailer is currently so light that I wouldn't really want to be reducing the weight any more… furthermore, I certainly wouldn't ever make a good enough job by hand of hole sawing it all…

The ramps I had made from 2.5mm, wasn't man enough and bent slightly whilst taking the car on and off, mainly due to the turnovers only being 25mm either side (ideally should have been 50mm)

So I've beefed these up, and I need some way of locking them on whilst I'm using them, as putting the car on last night, the rear wheel span whilst half way up, and it spat one of the ramps across the road lol

The car is taxed now and back on the road, and I'm breaking myself in gently (before I break the engine again), so far I've been out each evening since the 1st, if only for half an hour at a time

Went for a slow drive around 7am on the 1st, and pulled over it there was some lovely sunrise cloud cover, so took a couple of shots sporting its first time back on the road with new 13" wheels, carbon front cycle wings and new nose

Attention then turned back to the carbon diffuser, more fettling done (no photos) this time with a mask on - after being told off by Nat (NSDev) for cutting carbon with a grinder without mask on (oops)

Removed the heat resistant stuff where the diffuser (may) stick out the back of the car

Beefed up ramps

Any last nights midnight drive

[Edited on 6/3/14 by yellowcab]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/3/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Midnight???

Your neighbours must of loved that lol

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

yellowcab

posted on 5/3/14 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Another midnighter…. What do you mean that everybody doesn't have a spring clean at midnight?!?!

It's that time of year again where I wanna give it a spruce up, and decided tonight was pretty decent conditions to do so… a tub of cheap crap 10litres white paint for £8, and an hour of my time, possibly the most rewarding job ever lol

Not perfect, but better than it was this hasn't been done since the garage was put up back in 2012 actually, so its been a couple of years, and a full car rebuild, a lot of grinding, engines, oil, welding and general rubbish etc

Probably didn't expect this on a project thread lol

I actually did some stuff on the car & trailer, but that was boring in comparison to the above

Under where the trailer wheels are, will be sprayed red (or black) so I know where it should sit in order for me to get the car on and off, ramps in situ and being able to close the garage door

[Edited on 5/3/14 by yellowcab]

[Edited on 5/3/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 6/3/14 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Neeeeeeommmm

welderman

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

daveb666

posted on 6/3/14 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
The red one looks quicker

yellowcab

posted on 6/3/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
It can't be, it's a CEC... snarf snarf
Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/3/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
It can't be, it's a CEC... snarf snarf

Only cos you sabotaged his flywheel

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

yellowcab

posted on 6/3/14 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I tell ya something, I ain't half glad it gave way when I was in front!

For how close behind I was following him it could have ended worse

<<  26    27    28    29    30    31    32  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.