Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hand Cream Recommendations
Agriv8

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Before starting any job rub Vaselin into your hands.

Are we working in the garage or the bredroom Here

Use supper glue for Paper cuts and eldest lad got glued whey he tackled the plant pot instead of the football and smacked his eye socket AE 15 minutes assesed - cleaned dried and glued

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

lsdweb

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Neutragena Norwegian for me too!

And not a wimps question :-)

bartonp

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Petroleum jelly BP - applied straight after washing.
Cheap. Works.

dhutch

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins...nitrile gloves ...

I always but powerfree nitrile, cost more but are well worth it as they also dont rot with contact on oil.

Daniel

David Jenkins

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins...nitrile gloves ...

I always but powerfree nitrile, cost more but are well worth it as they also dont rot with contact on oil.

Daniel

Not had that problem - but I get mine from the local GS&F place who sell them for garage mechanic use, so that brand may be oil-resistant anyway.

[Edited on 12/3/12 by David Jenkins]

posted on 12/3/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the enormous response. I'm gob smacked.

Since the most votes seem to be for Neutrogena I'll give that a go. The stuff in the pic, right?

I hope I won't end up smelling like a pox doctors clerk.

Cheers,
Paul G

Hand cream
Hand cream

Rod Ends

posted on 12/3/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Neutrogena is too expensive - the main ingredients are water and glycerin.

Derma Intensive - 65p @ Tesco is just as good.

maccmike

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

People often think your hands need lots of oils but it's not actually that true. The palms of the hands and fingers don't actually produce lots of oil so the skin's pretty used to it- that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

No part of the skin absorbs water! Every part of the skin secretes sweat and natural moisturiser, especially the hands and feet, its a natural method for aiding grip as is the lack of hair. Im doing a degree on this. urea advice is good though.

maccmike

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something
you would/not recommend Ben?

Super glue is ok for temp repair, it was invented for exactly this during the war. It will reduce healing ability though. your better off moisturising daily, E45 is a good'n thats not too aggressive. Ignore beauty products.

richard thomas

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, i think most big brand hand creams are pretty effective, the trick is to use it A LOT!!!! keep on rubbing it in a few times a day, you cannot do it too many times...just one go with barrier cream before work and one with lotion after isn't enough if you are suffering....keep chucking it on them..

I use Nivea by the way...

van cleef

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I work as a roofer in the north east of Scotland and with cracked skin on the hands there is an old , old remedy and instant relief of peeing on your own hands which they say is the most sterile thing to your own body. I could never get round to doing this peeing on ones hands as I have had cracked skin on most fingers during the winter weather.

The thing which I use if you promise not to laugh .........is cow udder cream which is used for the cows feeding there young and cows can get very sore around the udder area.

Maybe call me daft but my hands were in agony at the time and I got desperate until a local farmer let me in on his secret.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
How do you know what a pox doctors clerk smells like Paul?
OX

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a plasterer and have tried a lot of creams that are on the market ,my cracks seem to start from the inside ,the first warning sign is the tips get sore or the creases under my finger joints get sore ,a few days later there will be a split .So i'd end up with tape on most of my fingers just to stop the pain when i touched something .

The product you need is called Dream Cream and you buy it from Lush . I gave my roofing friend a nearly empty pot of the stuff and he also now promotes the stuff to all his mates . It has every essential oil in it and works to heal any breaks in the skin as well as moisturise ,with in 4 days my hands are as good as new and i can enjoy the benefits of picking stuff up again.

I use it twice a day and never get splits any more . £10 a pot and worth every penny .

If you ignore this advice then you're hands aren't that bad .I've had to have days off in the past and been close to tears with pain ,but not any more .

907 ,i have some left in a pot ,pm me your address and i'll send you it and you can see for your self . link

[Edited on 12/3/12 by OX]

trextr7monkey

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tub of DIPROBASE sitting onthe end of the bench at the moment as it came home in a massive bag of free samples with my wife one night -it is OK does the job, hits the locost button but is a bit on the greasy side.
For the previous 5 years I used a fantastic cream marketed by MSD called Unguentum Merck- (not sure of precise spelling)-it is very thick , soaks in quickly and has aslight medicated smell so you don't have athe whiff of the Avon Lady about your person, it can be obtained from Boots and most of the bigger chemists
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

posted on 14/3/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
How do you know what a pox doctors clerk smells like Paul?

I have a vivid imagination Mel.

Many thanks for all the replies and I'll try them all in due course.

Cheers,
Paul G

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/3/12 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have used Diprobase for years and thought it was the best of the lot until my sister-in-law gave me some Dream Cream from Lush.
OK,have a good laugh but it is absolutely brilliant. Without doubt the best hand cream I have ever used.
Their thing called a Wiki Bar has stopped all the aching in my fingers from the arthritis/carpal tunnel problem. Use it once and it seems to work for the week so far. I can actually use a file again.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RK

posted on 25/3/12 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
How much time do you guys spend on the internet?!!
Ninehigh

posted on 25/3/12 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
How much time do you guys spend on the internet?!!

Lets put it this way, I can type at 55wpm with just my left hand

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.