Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thruxton GT vs. MK HSR
Slimy38

posted on 2/7/15 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toltec
When I helped Ash with odd bits there was a certain amount of tweaking needed to make it fit his Haynes chassis. It took quite some time to get the body to sit the way he wanted it, you need to be patient and accept you cannot just drop it on and bolt it up. The rear edge of the bonnet needed extending so the front wheel sat nicely in the arches.

This 100%. The price of the body and the 'flexibility' of host chassis means that I'm fully expecting it to be a nightmare to fit. I almost wonder whether the outriggers of the Thruxton kit will make it more difficult to custom fit, particularly as I've already had to modify some of my chassis for the MX5 donor. Going for the HSR version means that I can make my own outriggers to fit exactly.

swanny

posted on 2/7/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
there has got to be a market for someone to offer a drive in-drive out conversion....
Slimy38

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
there has got to be a market for someone to offer a drive in-drive out conversion....

If you look at the Jetson 7 pictures I posted, they have three options listed (middle page). The bottom one was a full drive in/out conversion. I'll try and look at a better view of the image to get the price, but from memory it was 'from £x,000' so they're obviously banking on a lot of customization required.

swanny

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
you're right. it looks like three grand.....
Toltec

posted on 2/7/15 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

This 100%. The price of the body and the 'flexibility' of host chassis means that I'm fully expecting it to be a nightmare to fit. I almost wonder whether the outriggers of the Thruxton kit will make it more difficult to custom fit, particularly as I've already had to modify some of my chassis for the MX5 donor. Going for the HSR version means that I can make my own outriggers to fit exactly.

The outriggers are just a length of box section with two pieces teed off to go to the chassis. You trim them to fit the width of the body/chassis and weld them on. The Thruxton body has built in shelves that sit on to the outriggers and you add packing to get the height right. Ash had to add some tube to the passenger compartment rails to get the right height for the body. You also need to remove the parts of the chassis that hold the rear bodywork and make up a frame to become a boot floor and body support.

Ash routed the exhaust from the original side can up through the wheel arch and out the back.

In case it isn't clear the reason I know all this is that it takes two people to move the tub on and off...

Slimy38

posted on 2/7/15 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toltec
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

The outriggers are just a length of box section with two pieces teed off to go to the chassis. You trim them to fit the width of the body/chassis and weld them on. The Thruxton body has built in shelves that sit on to the outriggers and you add packing to get the height right. Ash had to add some tube to the passenger compartment rails to get the right height for the body. You also need to remove the parts of the chassis that hold the rear bodywork and make up a frame to become a boot floor and body support.

Ash routed the exhaust from the original side can up through the wheel arch and out the back.

In case it isn't clear the reason I know all this is that it takes two people to move the tub on and off...

That's actually really useful, thanks for the info. It's kind of what I was expecting to do, particularly around the back end. I've not actually built up the rear bodywork frame on that basis, I'm just leaving it as the bottom diff cage and the bars from the top suspension struts.

And yes, the bodywork seemed reasonably light, but the sheer size suggests a two person job!

[Edited on 2/7/15 by Slimy38]

ashg

posted on 2/7/15 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
here are a couple of pictures of mine

you can see the outriggers here

fitting thruxton body on a haynes roadster

ended up adding an inch onto the bonnet but wasnt a big deal to do.

sadly i sold the car to a chap in Germany and moved to the USA. little bit sad about that :-( currently have no idea where she is or if shees been smashed into a ditch/wall :-(

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 2/7/15 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
i documented the whole conversion for CKC but it never got published

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Slimy38

posted on 2/7/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

Those pics look really good, nice colour as well. I'd love to see the whole conversion process as well, would you be able to post it for us to take a look?

JonTarry

posted on 2/7/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'd love to see the whole conversion process as well, would you be able to post it for us to take a look?

Absolutely, that'd be great!

slingshot2000

posted on 2/7/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonTarry
quote:
I'd love to see the whole conversion process as well, would you be able to post it for us to take a look?

Absolutely, that'd be great!

^^^^^+1

AndyW

posted on 3/7/15 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think I may have found my next project. I like that a lot!
PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/7/15 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Healey-3000-Kit-Car-Body-Kit-Fits-Lotus-7-Locost-MK-Dutton-Robin-Hood-/291507284186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=it em43df3028da

Slimy38

posted on 4/7/15 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Here you go

Austin Healey 3000 Kit Car Body Kit Fits Lotus 7, Locost, MK, Dutton, Robin Hood

That is quite eye-opening in lots of ways!! Firstly I didn't even twig there was two variations, despite seeing both the light blue and the white ones next to each other I didn't realise one was a wide arched version!!

And then there's the price...

femster87

posted on 9/7/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go, registered car. Needs a new engine

Thruxton GT original prototype

HOL

posted on 10/7/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

Hi Ash,

Did you move with work?

Andy

Super Six Sold -
Proton AWD Turbo Hatch Track Car.

femster87

posted on 10/7/15 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thruxton GT road track and sprint car
stamfordspeed

posted on 18/6/16 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I am trying to get one of the narrow Healey 3000 bodies......saw an ad on ebay last year....have emailed the company ( kitcarparts ), but no reply yet........any news on who owns the moulds.
Slimy38

posted on 18/6/16 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
This is who you need;

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=204213

I asked him about the narrow bodies and he's still making them, that was only a fortnight ago.

[Edited on 18/6/16 by Slimy38]

stamfordspeed

posted on 19/6/16 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will give them a try

[Edited on 19/6/16 by stamfordspeed]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.