Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New 7 from Road Runner Racing
PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
New 7 from Road Runner Racing

Called into Road Runner Racing on my way home tonight,as I had heard that they had got there new mx5 based 7 up to the rolling chassis stage,and was interested to see how it looked,I was not disappointed,what do we think?. Rescued attachment S3700262.JPG
Rescued attachment S3700262.JPG

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
And Rescued attachment S3700244.JPG
Rescued attachment S3700244.JPG

Miks15

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
i like,dont like the wheels tho
A1

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
not keen on the wheels, and would prefer more squared off cycle wings, but thats really cool... interesting front end
PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I agree,they did say they are just a set of old wheels to roll it round the workshop,I am told its designed to run on 13" rims.
Triton

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
When will someone do something different for a change instead of yet another 7....looks like the FW400 westy in some ways so not an original idea

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
ok so i now know what my next build will be,

looks very sleek,

like the look alot x between westy and mk, ??

chassis looks well designed also,

will give you a call on this paul,#

so are you treating yourself for xmas

cheers
sean

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture of the rear,with the built in rear under tray and diffuser.
Confused but excited.

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Niiiiice lines. I like it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

INDY BIRD

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
sweeeeet

nice rear end nearly as nice as j lo

Humbug

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
When will someone do something different for a change instead of yet another 7....looks like the FW400 westy in some ways so not an original idea

...like a full body car, maybe?

What happened to that project?

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Few things spring to mind ....

Westfield will be talking to their lawyers - cause that looks a bit like a westfield and i think will take potential customers

He still hasn't learn to triangulate the engine bay - its a gaping bit hole unless i've missed some tubes!

He's finally solved the wing stay breaking problem

GRP is VERY nice

se7en

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice. Looks the part.

I can't understand why companies do this; it is going to run on MX5 donor parts. Where are builders supposed to get their parts as there are even fewer MX5s about than Sierras.

One would have thought that it would have been better to pick a donor that is plentiful now and for many years to come.

I agree with Humbug, the market is ripe for a full bodied car. The last one that I fancied was the Storm; can't remember who manufactured it.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by se7en]

James

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7en

One would have thought that it would have been better to pick a donor that is plentiful now and for many years to come.

But what does that leave?

Beamer and maybe Merc' is all you've go isn't it?

I am surprised more people don't go Beemer. Are there disadvantages? I'm guessing it's too heavy and front uprights are an issue without mods?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tegwin

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by se7en

But what does that leave?

Beamer and maybe Merc' is all you've go isn't it?

I am surprised more people don't go Beemer. Are there disadvantages? I'm guessing it's too heavy and front uprights are an issue without mods?

Cheers,
James

What we need are some decent looking cars that take the transverse engine from a mundano/focus/Golf.... and stick it behind the drivers seat.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

se7en

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

What we need are some decent looking cars that take the transverse engine from a mundano/focus/Golf.... and stick it behind the drivers seat.....

There are a number of kits that use the Ford transverse engine in the rear but not enough of them. Any kits that I have seen are functional but not very stylish.

AFAIK there is no reason to not use the Mercedes or BMW cars as donors - there are a brave few of them about, and reasonably cheap to boot.

franky

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
gkd legend 6.... or 4 if you're scared of torque
indykid

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
there are loads of mx5s about and always someone breaking one on mx5nutz.

they'll never be £50 like a sierra (more like £500) but it's all a lot more suited to a far higher calibre of finished car. if i could start again, i'd happily use 5 running gear, but i have one as my DD so perhaps i'm biased.

the engines are a world away from ford's offerings and 250bhp is easy with a turbo on stock internals.
tom

ETA : it's unfortunate they've used what looks like a copy of the fw400 bodywork. the nose is ugly! i'd consider one if the MK glassfibre fit though.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by indykid]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
As Tom says above there are lots of old mx5's around over 50 thousand sold in the uk alone,you can pick a rusty or accident damaged one up for around £500,but the main advantage in using the mx5 bits is that they are all good quality very light weight items,the front and rear uprights for example are tiny little things,rear axles are lsd,you can even use the original dash and loom,there are also lots of after market tuning options for the mx5 engines,soI think it makes good sense as a doner vehicle.
indykid

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
front upright with hub, bearings and studs.

4.325kg

most 1.8 imports come with torsen lsd, type 1, type 2 or tochigi fuji (cross between torsen and cone clutch). 1.6 imports mostly come with viscous lsds but most have died by now. mine's on 150k km and the engine still purrs and is smooth as you could ever ask. the diff's just about still locking.

mx5 parts supply genuine and pattern service parts at rock bottom prices.

what we should really be asking is why are kit manufacturers still sticking with ford?
tom

RK

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't the Ford engines really cheap though? And can't you find Transit parts fairly reasonably over there? Damaged MX5 are expensive here in Canada, but the parts are easily found, and not pricy.

Agreed on the Westy resemblance though; that was my very first thought, right up to the nice scoop on the left.

iank

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
front upright with hub, bearings and studs.

4.325kg

most 1.8 imports come with torsen lsd, type 1, type 2 or tochigi fuji (cross between torsen and cone clutch). 1.6 imports mostly come with viscous lsds but most have died by now. mine's on 150k km and the engine still purrs and is smooth as you could ever ask. the diff's just about still locking.

mx5 parts supply genuine and pattern service parts at rock bottom prices.

what we should really be asking is why are kit manufacturers still sticking with ford?
tom

It's a tradition to use Ford or Austin/Rover/Jaguar cars as kit donors.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Hammerhead

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I like it, chassis looks good, hope the geometry is good. I like that the floor is triangulated, makes me wonder why the indy isn't? I always look at my floor and think there is absolutely no triangulation in it.
I'd like to see it on 13"s

fesycresy

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
That looks very FW to me. I wonder if Westfield could say anything?

Looks like a one piece tub too, suprised more haven't opted for this.

Is he planning on a full scale assault on the kit car world, like the old MK days?

Should take some orders, looks good.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by fesycresy]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I need to look at this, always been impressed with RRR's manufacturing standards.
From the pictures, yep, I think the body (if that's the final version) will definitely get the Westfield factory a bit annoyed.
The chassis looks rather solid, well triangulated in all the important areas. Where my Westfield lacks rear end strength around the diff (and exhibited some tube cracking), Kevin's clearly got the area well covered.
As for all this talk over donors, well, yes, you can still get a Sierra diff if you want one, or a Freeloader, or anything. The fact that this kit is prewelded for rusty MX5 stuff, doesn't mean you've got to fit it! Anglegrinders are freely available.
Hope this project works (sells) it's going to be tough times ahead in the marketplace methinks.

OK, gotta go. Actually FOUND A JOB, I'm delivering groceries for Tescos (hopefully avoiding the crashing coaches and police cars). Hoping the job keeps going after the Xmas mayhem, but it's not looking good. Let's hope the postmen go out again, so I can get a few hours in. Just nothing down here in the South West.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.