Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: my photos
blakep82

posted on 30/12/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
you can now view the photos even if your not logged in, does that mean none members can see our photos ?

hasn't that always been the case?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 30/12/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Also auto-resizing of images so they all appear the same size in the gallery. Tomorrow I'll add the ability to change the default size.

I've also added watermarking code, with detection of whether the image is being loaded from an external site. If you frequent other forums, look out for the LocostBuilders logo appearing on images!

Chris

There was me trying to make life easier for myself having one image to maintain, oh well have to go and upload them individually now Not quite sure I understand the rational behind that one, wouldn't mind if it was a digital watermark! Not one that blocks half of my pride and joy when displayed on my banner.

However I do like the new album stylee so I'll go easy on you

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 31/12/10 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'll probably change it after a few weeks, so don't worry too much. Probably make the watermark smaller.

Actually, I might make it so only images above a certain size get watermarked.

It's the people that hotlink to LB that annoy me. Costs me bandwidth and server power, yet I see nothing in return!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 31/12/10 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

In my opinion this change has really enhanced the site - thanks Chris.

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but what do the red asterisks signify?

Regards Mick

McLannahan

posted on 31/12/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Hi

In my opinion this change has really enhanced the site - thanks Chris.

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but what do the red asterisks signify?

Regards Mick

Unread/unviewed item like in email?

ChrisW

posted on 31/12/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've written a system that builds the resized images on the fly and caches them. We've got nearly 100,000 of them on the site, so it would have been a lengthy process to go through them all and convert them into 6 different sizes and would have tied up server resources whilst it was going on.

I could have downloaded them, resized, and uploaded, but the base directory is 15GB and whilst that's not too bad to download I'd be making 6 copies of each file which would be a lot of data to upload again.

So, the site waits until an image is requested, checks whether it's already been processed (ie if someone else has already requested it) and, if it hasn't, does the resize there and then. The * signifies that the image was generated during that page load. If you refresh it should go away, indicating that the image was loaded from the cache.

It's a debug feature really. I'll turn it off in a few days once I'm confident all the bugs have been ironed out.

Cheers, Chris

John Bonnett

posted on 1/1/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, I'd just like to add my thanks for all the hard and largely unseen work that you and the team put in to make this the very best of all the Forums (or is it Fora?) that I have come across. Great stuff and much appreciated.

Happy New Year

John

David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I got a bit confused when I looked at my fairly small avatar pictures (<150 x 150 pixels) - they all appeared huge on-screen!

Not a major catastrophe though, as copying the link meant that I ended up with the proper-sized piccie (I used to get the picture location directly from the picture properties)

The whole approach to picture galleries is a lot better though - well done, ChrisW!

[Edited on 1/1/11 by David Jenkins]

Liam

posted on 1/1/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff. Is there a way to view them original size though?

[Edited on 1/1/11 by Liam]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.