Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone make me one of these?
mr_pr

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fastnova
I think the whole grill would be a tricky one as they are usually made from lots of bits of wire welded together. Not so easy to do on small batch at a good price. Unless someone knows of another way to make them.

As for the “7” logo, I’m happy to knock up a detailed CAD drawing if someone can provide some basic dimensions (height x width) from there I can work out a price depending on batch size.

Jonathan

Ok, LOTUS 7 GRILLE BADGE CATERHAM 7 SUPER 7 GRILL EMBLEM on eBay (end time 15-Jan-11 20:13:55 GMT) is the ebay advert I saw a while back, saved but never got round to doing anything.

It describes the dimensions to be 8 inches / 20cm wide and 7.25 inches / 18cm high.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
Can you do a range of colours?

Sounds good though, not in Hants anymore (need to update) but can post!!

Ed

I currently only have black and orange. But they powders are cheap as chips from electrostaticmagic. You buy the powder, and il coat it for free if I can keep the left over powder!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carlfothergill/new/powders.html

Check my photo archive for my build stands I did a while back.

[Edited on 5/2/11 by loggyboy]

Awesome. As soon as I have the badge I will be in touch. Orange is the colour I am looking at so we can work out some beer tokens at the time?

Ed

My Build Progress

lewis

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
orange for me too

about the whole grill it could be made from one complete piece of sheet,does not matter if the bars are flat that would look kind of cool & easy to do on a waterjet...maybe

fastnova

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
It would be possible to make a hole grill out of a single piece of stainless, couldn’t use ally though as I don’t think it would be ridged enough.

Would be a few problems with it though, huge amount of de-burring/rounding edges, and would cost quite a bit, taking a large piece of sheet and turning it into nut much = huge material cost + lots of time on the water cutter...

That’s why they are usually made from wire.

That aside it would look pretty good having the “7” logo as part of the grill rather than just stuck to it.

Jonathan

lewis

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
When you say expensive per unit what we talking? If say 50 were made I'm sure they would all be sold here/eBay & would be worth someones while.
Miketheconn

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I much prefer Rusty Nuts and dlatch's grills

Here

Bow if someone could knock up something like dlatch's that would be brill

fastnova

posted on 6/2/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
If your making it out of a single sheet then the sky is the limit, something like that would be more than possible, all you need to do is draw it in CAD save it as a .DXF file and give that to the laser/water cutters. They can import the dxf straight into the machine and off it goes. Sort of...
fastnova

posted on 6/2/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to say off the top of my head as never had any done personally, but as you say, they would be quite different and certainly nothing else like it out there that I know of.

Ok, can someone provide some good dims for the whole grill, and the location of the little lugs that hold it in place?

If someone can fill in the gaps on this sketch than I should be able to get it the right shape and size.

Grill
Grill

The dims that are in the middle of the grill are a measurement from half way between the centre line to the outer edge, that should give me an idea of the curve and get the shape right.

Also, what kind of numbers are we talking about for a group buy?

Jonathan

[Edited on 6/2/11 by fastnova]

lewis

posted on 6/2/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with measurements but put me down for one,maybe be worth starting a list.
mr_pr

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, well I don't want a full grill, I just want the 7 Logo as in my OP. So, if people can put their preference when they show their interest then it will make it easier for everyone to work out who wants what!

I am going to try to cad up just the logo and look at the cost of getting them made.

Ed

My Build Progress

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.