Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to kill a tree
Irony

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I am not sure the original poster is that interested in the letters of the law etc. I don't think he is planning on getting caught.
Irony

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi-jacking this post a bit. I have a large Willow in my front yard that has been cut off at 10ft high. Now I have a 10ft tall Willow bush that on the inside has a 2ft diameter trunk. I need this tree dead NOW. Short of taking a chainsaw to it (which I don't have) what will kill a tree immediately?
Not Anumber

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
a JCB

iank

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I am not sure the original poster is that interested in the letters of the law etc. I don't think he is planning on getting caught.

Probably not best to post on a public forum then
Sounds like it'll be pretty obvious who dropped then tree if it came to it.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rdodger

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Hi-jacking this post a bit. I have a large Willow in my front yard that has been cut off at 10ft high. Now I have a 10ft tall Willow bush that on the inside has a 2ft diameter trunk. I need this tree dead NOW. Short of taking a chainsaw to it (which I don't have) what will kill a tree immediately?

Hire a chain saw and sell the logs to cover the cost :-)

Peteff

posted on 26/3/14 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Copper roof nail and a centre punch. Once they are countersunk you will never see them till you cut it down.

Then hit it with a chainsaw and knacker the chain The copper tack and piping trick is an old wives tale, ring barking will kill trees but it shows on the outside. Diesel or old fashioned creosote, strong weed killer will do it but what you are suggesting is trespass and malicious damage so get a good solicitor to defend you. He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him. Cut back to his boundary and keep offering him the cuttings, don't just throw them back over as this is an offence as well. If he is only refusing to do it because of the cost (tree work is expensive) yourself and your neighbours could offer to have it done if you are really concerned.
Irony, Willow is almost impossible to kill by cutting, if you cut off a stick and poke it in the ground it will root in weeks. You would have to get it cut right down and hire a stump grinder or get someone with one to take it below ground level then use Sodium Chlorate or similar weed killer

[Edited on 26/3/14 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

SteveWalker

posted on 26/3/14 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him.

It is my understanding that hHe is not liable for any damage prior to him being advised that damage is likely (unless it would have been very obvious to him), but if he then ignores that advice, he becomes liable for any further damage caused.

iank

posted on 26/3/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
quote:
He is not liable for any damage caused by the tree it is up to your insurance to cover that and possibly claim their costs back from him.

It is my understanding that hHe is not liable for any damage prior to him being advised that damage is likely (unless it would have been very obvious to him), but if he then ignores that advice, he becomes liable for any further damage caused.

Really, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 27/3/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iankReally, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

Your insurance covers damage to your property, his insurance covers his however it is caused.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

posted on 27/3/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
The "solution" is a four letter word.

Salt

SteveWalker

posted on 27/3/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
quote:

Really, so hypotethically if your neighbours tree falls in the wind and crushes your car you have no claim against his insurance? Genuinely interested to see if that's true (having just had a tree fall and miss my neighbours property by inches - I'd assumed I'd have been liable for his new chimney and car if it had gone 10 degrees to the left)

From what I have read, normally there is no liability without negligence. If your neighbour knew (or it should have been obvious) that the tree was in a bad state, then you have a claim against him, otherwise not and you must claim on your own insurance.

JoelP

posted on 27/3/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
'being obvious who did it' and 'proving who did it' are two different matters. Id cut it down to the ground, either leave it in a pile or sell it. You can get a chainsaw quite cheaply.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 28/3/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The "solution" is a four letter word.
Salt

Or beer

yours, Pete

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.