Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bugger
Gav

posted on 18/7/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger

Got a notice of intended prosecution through the post this morning.
98mph on the M6 up near carlisle, it was a sunday morning 11am with perfect conditions and very light traffic.

What do you think ill get? ill definalty be going to court i know that much but whats likleyhood it will be a ban?

[Edited on 18/7/06 by Gav]

MikeR

posted on 18/7/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
if you look it up you can find the guidance to judges. I think under a 100 you're ok. pepido or what ever is useful.
chockymonster

posted on 18/7/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.pepipoo.com

Loads of advice in the FAQ and judicial progress section.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gav

posted on 18/7/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers thats most helpful.
donut

posted on 18/7/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i recon under 100 you should be ok. I saw a prog on telly where a traffic cop on the motorway said they don't bother chasing anyone unless they are doing over 90 and you're not that far off.

Let us know what happens.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 18/7/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Bad news.
Sympathies mate. They were prolly trying to catch everyone on the way to the superbikes at knockhill. And they still say it's not just for cash. Barstewards.

ChrisJLW

posted on 18/7/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
For 100.0MPH on the A3(M) I got 5 points and £350 fine. They will ask you to fill out a means (earnings etc) form and the fine will reflect your earnings. In otherwords they'll screw you for as much as they can, the guy before me got fined £800!

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

Gav

posted on 18/7/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Too be honest if thats what i got id be more than happy, its losing my license im worried about.
iank

posted on 18/7/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a clean license it would be very unlucky to lose it for one offence, especially if it would affect your ability to do your job.
Brooky

posted on 18/7/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got a NIP after the mrs got caught by a mobile speed camera van doing 36 in a 30 zone.
I asked to see the photo to clarify who was driving (couldnt remember honest guvnor) and they said it would be no good as it was of the back of the car. So after I gave her a bolocking for driving PAST a speed camera van I told the constabulary that as 2 people are insured on the car and we were both off work that day we couldnt figure out who it was.
They sent back another letter saying under section 172 of the road traffic act or whatever I had to identify the driver.
What plod had failed to tell me was that the next line of the act say about showing due dilligance in identifying the driver.
So i sent another letter again saying we were both off, both drive the car and that i had shown all due diligance in identifying the driver.I then asked them how we should best proceed. That was over a year ago, nothing since.

pdw709

posted on 18/7/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooky
I got a NIP after the mrs got caught by a mobile speed camera van doing 36 in a 30 zone.
I asked to see the photo to clarify who was driving (couldnt remember honest guvnor) and they said it would be no good as it was of the back of the car. So after I gave her a bolocking for driving PAST a speed camera van I told the constabulary that as 2 people are insured on the car and we were both off work that day we couldnt figure out who it was.
They sent back another letter saying under section 172 of the road traffic act or whatever I had to identify the driver.
What plod had failed to tell me was that the next line of the act say about showing due dilligance in identifying the driver.
So i sent another letter again saying we were both off, both drive the car and that i had shown all due diligance in identifying the driver.I then asked them how we should best proceed. That was over a year ago, nothing since.

This is something that should be done by EVERYONE who gets a NIP. You should always ask to see the the Photograph!

In my case it was a forward looking camera with a long range telephoto lens giving a clear picture of myself at the wheel grinning! so I had no choice to pay the fine, however...........if the photo had been blurred or a rear facing picture then I would have pursued this much like you did. As long as you cooperate and "try" to be helpful and "diligent" they ca'nt really touch you.

As mentinoed before, the PEPIOO website (http://www.pepipoo.com) is a great place to start. If everyone started demanding to see photographs etc then maybe we can start to put a spanner in the system!

ALWAYS ASK FOR A PHOTO, you never know, you might get off.

Phil

ChrisJLW

posted on 18/7/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
In my last 'camera encounter' the photo was from a Truvelo (forward facing) but didn't show the me at all due to reflection on the window. Shame I'm the only registered driver!

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/7/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Of course, if it was "a fair cop" you may get a bit more leniency by humbly admitting guilt rather than poking around for a loophole...

However, if you are sure that you didn't go that fast at any time, then it's morally correct to check out every option and to challenge them if possible.

just my 2p's worth

David

Reminds me of a neighbour of mine who got stopped on his BMW bike by a traffic cop... "shall we call it 99mph, sir?"

[Edited on 18/7/06 by David Jenkins]

Danozeman

posted on 18/7/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hehehe iv got one of them sitting on my coffee table waiting to be sent back. 84 on the A14 at cambridge a couple of weeks ago. Funnily enough on my way to Bryan Hamlets to collect some bits for my locost.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

clbarclay

posted on 18/7/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gav
Too be honest if thats what i got id be more than happy, its losing my license im worried about.

We have a similare problem at home, my gran has on ocasion taken my grandads points on her licence because we all know he would be hell to live with if he lost his licence.

Fortunately the last time he got done he was offered awarnes training instead of points (fine was still the same) so it should do him some good as preveiously he had no form of driver training ever. fingers are currently crossed

[Edited on 18/7/06 by clbarclay]

JoelP

posted on 18/7/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
make sure you emphasise how much you need your license. That said, its almost certainly 6 points for 98mph. I swung 6 for 105 by explaining i drove for a living.

Aparently, you can only plead undue hardship once in your life though. But i dont think you even need to here anyway, no chance of a ban.

Krismc

posted on 18/7/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
So when where you caught, cause i was on the M6 that same day and was doing well over 100 between penrith and carlise!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

TangoMan

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
So when where you caught, cause i was on the M6 that same day and was doing well over 100 between penrith and carlise!

Erm,

Is the post usually prompt in your area. I bet you will be waiting for tomorrows post with crossed fingers. I know that feeling!!

MikeR

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
annoying thing when i was caught is i had a note saying something like "asking for the photo is only allowed when you are in court". I thought bugger that and took the 3 points (it was me driving, i was going to fast, i'm the only insured person so no argument really).
omega 24 v6

posted on 18/7/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They will ask you to fill out a means (earnings etc) form and the fine will reflect your earnings. In otherwords they'll screw you for as much as they can, the guy before me got fined £800!

Feck me this country sucks shite. The crimes the same regardless of your financial meaans. A rapist doesn't get longer in jail cause he's rich and a burglar doesn't get less time cause hes poor (not always) so why should the motorist be means tested. I am sick of this shite we get fed every day (OOOHHHH its for safety IS IT FECK ITS CAUSE WE'VE GOT MONEY AND WE CAN BE TRACED)

3GEComponents

posted on 18/7/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reminder, i'm off to dig out mine!

I thought that they were only being put in "accident black spots"?

muzchap

posted on 18/7/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they had changed the law - so that you couldn't challenge for the photo now - I hope I can stand corrected.

I had a Lotus Elan 1.6se Turbo in 2001 - and a sodding caravan overturned on the A14 just after Huntingdon (my first day in new job had to meet Director in Ipswich!) - I cleared the caravan (might have been James May practicing?) and toed it big time - 160mph in places - I kept seeing a car chasing me - but thought nothing of it - got to a 50mph section before Ipswich and a cop car came flying up behind me - I'd just braked for a fiesta - and pulled over and waved him by - he shook his head and pointed to a Parking area - I stopped - he acted like I had stolen the car!

They were just about to set up a 'stinger'

Average speed over 10 miles = 99.89 mph.

£600 fine and 6 points!

So good luck - unlikely you'll lose your licence!

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

TheGecko

posted on 19/7/06 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
As a resident of the Antipodes I must admit to be a little bemused by the sentiments being expressed in this thread. I assume the posted limit on the motorway in question is 70? (on good, divided carriageway here it's 110 km/h which is near enough to 70 mph). If so, you were exceeding the limit by nearly 30 mph and BREAKING THE F*CKING LAW! What are you moaning about! In many countries there would be absolutely no arguing about how many points or pounds - 30 over would be instant loss of licence and a BIG fine. In Oz, 35km/h over is instant suspension and (something like) $1,000 - about £400. Yes, that's right - exceed the limit by 22mph and lose your licence - no arguing.

If you don't like a law then you can complain about it and try to elect governments who'll (hopefully) change it. You can't just break laws you don't like.

And omega 24 v6 - means tested fines make good sense because, for the guy with 100,000 in the bank, a 300 fine is just a fee that he pays to do something that you or I can't afford to. He has to pay more or else the deterrent effect is lost.

Macbeast

posted on 19/7/06 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dbarclay....

With respect, I should keep quiet about your Gran taking points. That seems to be treated as a VERY serious offence, much worse than speeding.

MikeR

posted on 19/7/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Which is why i took my points, i broke the law therefore i should pay the penalty. I honestly believe a copper would have given me a talking too & what i was told about the photograph was wrong which is why i'm annoyed.

What gets me is the way we all want to be able to drive faster than the limit, i've never understood why, i think partly because we're so insulated from the road in modern cars & partly for the adrenalin rush.

quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
As a resident of the Antipodes I must admit to be a little bemused by the sentiments being expressed in this thread. I assume the posted limit on the motorway in question is 70? (on good, divided carriageway here it's 110 km/h which is near enough to 70 mph). If so, you were exceeding the limit by nearly 30 mph and BREAKING THE F*CKING LAW! What are you moaning about! In many countries there would be absolutely no arguing about how many points or pounds - 30 over would be instant loss of licence and a BIG fine. In Oz, 35km/h over is instant suspension and (something like) $1,000 - about £400. Yes, that's right - exceed the limit by 22mph and lose your licence - no arguing.

If you don't like a law then you can complain about it and try to elect governments who'll (hopefully) change it. You can't just break laws you don't like.

And omega 24 v6 - means tested fines make good sense because, for the guy with 100,000 in the bank, a 300 fine is just a fee that he pays to do something that you or I can't afford to. He has to pay more or else the deterrent effect is lost.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.