Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC weight
birt

posted on 2/3/07 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
Although it looks a bit skinny, it isn't the size or construction that would concern me it is the lack of bracing both fore/aft to stop it from collapsing or diagonally to stop it from twisting/shearing. I tend to pay a lot of attention to roll bars after a friend of a friend was killed when he rolled his car through a field and his roll bar collapsed a few years ago. I also used to work for the only company in the UK who are certified to conduct official FIA rollbar/roll cage simulation work and the results can be alarming.

There have been threads dedicated to this subject, usually surrounding the height, which is often too low to protect the occupants head if they were to roll their car. Somebody always pipes up and says that they don’t intend to roll it or it is impossible to roll a Locost due to the low centre of gravity. Both are irresponsible arguments. Most of us will probably have experienced a situation where we are driving quickly down a bendy road only to suddenly find that the road has become a little bumpier and the car tends to skip around a bit, especially if the dampers are set too hard. This is usually followed by a brown pants moment where you find yourself drifting towards the edge of the road as the variation in contact patch pressure causes you too loose lateral grip. This is just one example of a situation where one day, heaven forbid, you may end up clipping the curve and flipping the car over.

1000Lb weight target with driver! That would be an awesome achievement. I am assuming you didn’t manage to make it, and if you did, you weigh less than 35Kg and you should see a doctor!

dilley

posted on 12/3/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
wieghed today 520 kgs with full tank of fuel, why not fill the tyres with heliumlocost option

[Edited on 12/3/07 by dilley]

BMWTJW

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
im hoping to save at least 100kgs by swapping to the blade engine.

So then, just wondering, if i bought a pinto powered mk and wanted to convert it to bike engine power, how easy is this to do?? is there a lot of cutting of chassis needed?? Any major modifications ??

Thanks Tim

zxrlocost

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
youll need some new mounts MK will do this and exhaust and prop

expect to pay£400 on fabrication parts and then your engine on top

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

BMWTJW

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is that all that is needed?? I went down to Mac and when enquiring, i asked them how easy it is to do a conversion on one of there cars, they said it was particularly hard as a lot of chassis modification including the cutting of the chassis was needed. But if its a case of just buying a mount and modifying the prop shaft i guess thats not too bad. How much would a average fireblade engine cost with average miles?? I know its generic, but just looking for a price range

Many thanks Tim

Jon Ison

posted on 12/3/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
440 kgs, fully wet. as in tank full.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.