Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
jonabonospen

posted on 8/9/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking thread. Thats rubbish news about the engine. Hope you get it sorted.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SausageArm

posted on 8/9/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Really bad news regarding the engine, the car was looking and sounding great, here's hoping for a quick fix! :-)
sdh2903

posted on 8/9/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
What's the plan repair/rebuild or replace?

yellowcab

posted on 4/12/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not been on here much recently as been extremely busy with other projects, apologies for the late reply sdh2903.

The plan was always to rebuild the engine, but with a dry sump setup so it wouldn't happen again lol

So a very good friend of mine volunteered to rebuild my engine for me due to other commitments that I have, I would never have had the time to do so, within only a couple of weekends, it was done - so it's had a new crank, new rod, new bearings & shells, and new gasket set through & through.

He even managed to sort me a dry sump setup - to which he fitted and also located the trick parts to put the idler pulley on that looks incredibly standard, to which we all know, isn't.

Here are some photos of the rebuild:

hmmm, whats up with these:

Crank cases all cleaned, sand blasted & sprayed

Back together again...

New bits...

Awaiting to go back in...

Must say a massive thanks to Mike for doing this for me!

[Edited on 4/12/12 by yellowcab]

[Edited on 4/12/12 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 4/12/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but 22'000 thread views?

Bloody 'eck!

RK

posted on 5/12/12 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've been through the duff engine thing and can relate to your woes. It will get better! You'll never stop doing things to your car; best get used to it now! Spring is just around the corner.
yellowcab

posted on 16/1/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
So I've been threatening for a while to actually start doing things to my car, so I spent half hour in the garage yesterday just tidying up and generally making myself feel better about the state the car was in

First up was to offer up the dry sump tank, I presume this is the normal position to which it shouldn't foul anything obvious, I know its where it sits in a Westfield, but presume it can sit in a similar position?

Took my old exhaust can off the manifold, and it was rattling like a bag of nails - all the old rivets that I had drilled out to repack it had obviously fell inside, it now sounds like some kind of musical instrument... anyway - a new Aprillia RSV Mille can should make my car a little quieter which is what I wanted

General tidy up, and get things off the floor so I have space around

Tonights task is to strip the side panels off, and freshen up the chassis

yellowcab

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Popped down again tonight but only had 20 minutes, so whipped off the side panels to give me better access to the bay

Can see the kinked chassis bar by the exhaust primary on on the nearside here

more pieces of the car hanging up lol

The loom looks scary as hell, for someone who isn't over confident with wiring, i hope it all goes back together lol

ReMan

posted on 16/1/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you are well, good progress I see.
But whoever put the engine back together should have put the long wobbly metal thing next to it, inside it

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

yellowcab

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I thought the engine felt lighter than before...

How are you? Sorry not been in touch for a while, hectic home life, this is the first time I've seen the car since it went bang pretty much!

[Edited on 16/1/13 by yellowcab]

maccmike

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
that once beautifully clean floor....
yellowcab

posted on 17/1/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'll just repaint it when the car is out lol

Oh, and when the weather has warmed up a little so it actually dries! lol

yellowcab

posted on 23/1/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
My god it's farking cold outside, couldn't stand much more than a couple of hours down there, here is the very little, but satisfying progress I made lol

Gave the chassis a wash down with warm soapy water, and got rid of any stubborn road grease

Scraped off the flakey shitty paint (doesn't look powdercoated?!) and applied a thin film of Nitromorz

Back to bare

Still working away, before I wirebrush it all off

Odd place on the bulk head for paint to flake, but over the years I guess it's stone chips and gravel traps lol

Begin the job... only the very first coat done tonight - as its not exactly ideal painting conditions

First coat

Looking better already

You'll notice that I still haven't removed the steering rack, suspension etc - its bceause I need the car mobile for now, once I come to do the second coat, and tart it up - it'll all be removed.

The ideal painting temperatures are between 8 and 12 degrees, so in a garage which is minus 2... I have a feeling I'll go down tomorrow night and it will have all reacted... we'll seeeeeee

That's all folks!

[Edited on 23/1/13 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 23/1/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Also I've spoken with Danny and ordered some rear adjustable arms complete with rose joints so I can finally solve my rear wheel geometry problem!

Looking forward to them arriving!

yellowcab

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Went down the garage again for a couple of hours, stripped the rest of the front end of wheels, suspension, arms, brakes, steering rack etc so I could continue refreshening up the chassis

Not very interesting, but pics nonetheless

One side gone

Couldn't split the hub carriers, from the arms for love nor money - so I removed them as is... however I do need to get the brake disks off, as I'm replacing them - any tips anyone?

Freshen up continues, all mounting points now painted, and second coat applied to rest of the chassis

That's all for now folks, any help and advice in splitting the fronts would be greatly appreciated lol

[Edited on 25/1/13 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Photos above now working - can't upload them to the Photo Archive on here for some reason?

Had an unexpected call from Danny Keenan from MK Sportscar today to say that my adjustable rosejointed rear arms had been fabricated, and powder coated, and are awaiting despatch.

Yet again top notch service, considering I only called him on Wednesday, so 10/10 yet again for looking after me.

Cheers Danny!

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/1/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
What paint are you using on the chassis? Brush or rattle can?

Brilliant thread by the way, remember reading it a while back - shame the engine went west!

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm brushing it, so I can choose how much to apply in certain places.

I was sure to by proper Hammerite/ Smoothrite though, as the quality of the paint is amazing... it's had a good two coats so far, and letting it set for 24 hours in between each coat.

Dead neat finish, and you can't see brushlines etc.

Thanks for the comments about the thread - looking forward to building it back up now all the components are going to be clean lol

Benzo

posted on 25/1/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks much tidier!
yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Benzo - just about to head out to the garage again now, to clean up the rack & arms, and second coat the front wings.

Next up is probably the rear end... we'll see how cold I get...

Buying a Clarke Space Heater tomorrow, looking forward to it not being minus 3 degrees in there!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/1/13 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Olz, removing discs..... hit them with a hammer towards the hub if your not keeping them!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am replacing the disks, as I bought some from Jon Ison, when I bought his Wilwood 4-pots...

I presume my current disks & brake setup isn't worth anything is it?

They're not very old you see....

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Got the disks off, just used a rubber mallet...

Had my new replacements out the box that I got from Jon, and it seems that they're wrong stud pattern... the holes for the wheel bolts to go through are tiny, and also look like 4x98, as opposed to 4x108, so looks like I'll need new disks...

Would use my current disks, but they don't fit in between the jaws of my Wilwood calipers - grrrr

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Old disks off

New disk on left, old on right... ohhhh

Old disk thicker, and also hub carrier part deeper

PCD well off, and smaller holes

On a brighter note, Nitromors'd the engine cradle, its awesome stuff

Done

Final coat applied

perksy

posted on 25/1/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play some good work going on there

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but i really wouldn't be using Hammerite on the chassis, It'll chip really easily
(Its ok used inside the cockpit to match the black powdercoat of a black chassis etc)

Used POR 15 before with really good results on a chassis and wishbones, ok it needs overcoating afterwards but it lasted so much better
than Hammerite

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.